[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Film Score Monthly

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Film Score Monthly
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:30 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:52 pm 
I never read this magazine or any other dealing with film music (Soundtrack!, MftM). So I won't subscribe.
I prefer investing to the CD's, always basing my purchase on everything but everyone else's review.

If you take the whole year and $60, I find I prefer having 3 more CD's than all issues of a magazine which only writes about what the CD's actually are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:38 pm 

My main concern is losing access to the content if I decide to cancel my subscription. With the hard copy version, if I cancel my subscription I still have all the previous issues in my closet for reference. I don't like the idea of losing access to the content I previously paid for if I decide to cancel. A couple of people asked this question on the FSM site (myself included), but the question wasn't addressed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:15 pm 
Dorian
A sensible approach, myself I enjoy learning about things that interest me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:18 pm 
Roger
I would think you shoukd be able to down load the online magazine,hope you get an answer after the holidays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:17 am 

I'm with everyone here but I subscribed anyway I love the mag and Ill try the online thing for a year, if it doesn't work, Ill still have the cds and my Charter Membership.
sd :)

Jerry Goldsmith, Joel Goldsmith, John Williams, Elmer Bernstein,Michael Giacchino,Scott Glasgow,Alan Silvestri, Bernard Herrmann, Christopher Young, Bruce Broughton,Ennio Morricone and a host of others.

Post subject: Re: Film Score Monthly
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:34 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:19 pm 

This NEW online subscription version of FSM seems, to me, to be a bad move. Roger has pointed out one of the most obvious reasons that they are setting them selves up for a final destination of abandoning FSM completely. It's not news that print publications in general are suffering huge losses. That FSM cater to a small community of collectors is what should be prying their eyes wide-open. That they haven't made their new version of the magazine address any relationship to being "collectible," is going to further alienate their already dwindling presence in the film music community. Serious, we are collectors, so when we can't collect it, we ultimately, and frustratingly so, lose some of our passion for what we love. As a collector I love to archive things. That I wouldn't be able to do this with the newest version of FSM is the final nail in the coffin for me - I simply will not subscribe to something I can not reference back to. More importantly, while the magazine's format is import, so is it's content - and that is something that has been lacking for several years. At best, the magazine is a "Fanzine," and has always lacked a certain sense of being taken seriously. As a supporter of the magazine in it's earliest format, I was elated when they actually went to color and started to look like a legitimate mag. Great promise seemed to rear it's head and the sky was the limit. But In my opinion, though I enjoyed most of the articles and their efforts to showcase film music in it's many forms, they just kept missing opportunities to grow as they could have. I stopped buying the magazine a few years ago and then have only bought it sporadically, if at all. Admittedly, It was kind of fun to have it out on my coffee table next to National Geographic and other more prestigious magazines. But it always has seemed to be like walking around with a Uncle John's Bathroom Reader and not having anyone take you seriously. "What the Hell is this?"

Collectors are a kooky bunch, still - I wish those guys much luck with their efforts to keep the ball rolling.

Anyone reading this?

~ Oz

Last edited by TheOzMan on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:22 am 
The Oz Man
The major point of your criticism that I agree with is that FSN stayed a fanzine when it appeared on the newstands.
Childish things like alienating major composers like Golsmith and Horner
just showed how immature they were
Credit should be given to them for trying to run articles that were not
exclusively about genre films,but selling point of the covers were aimed at teenagers who read Starlog.
Still without the magazine,our shelves would not feature The Wild Bumch,Lust For Life or many other classic scores.
So part of me will miss it but part of me knows they've exhaustled a very limited marketplace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:10 pm 
As all the acumulated comments here so far, seem to indicate...perhaps Lukas Kendall should direct his energies and revenues to being another film music label, and concentrate of producing soundtrack cds.

Post subject: Re: Film Score Monthly
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:02 pm 

Post subject: FSM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:09 pm 
Hi Folks,

Congrats to Intrada for starting this forum and for archiving Doug's terrific columns.

Basically, what Yavar said. FSM Online is the best we can do -- and by we, I mean the staff, as it's their enterprise...I'm exhausted. And busy doing the CDs.

That's a very good point about not wanting to lose access to something you had earlier paid for. Hopefully a solution will come up -- this is a very difficult endeavor in that the guys are hitting the ground running...they have to build the business model from scratch, AND maintain continuity editorially, with NO seed money, and the disorientation of losing the old FSM office.

I hope film music fans who have enjoyed FSM in the past will trust us to work out the kinks and provide you with more than enough value for your money.

Thanks.

Lukas

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next