[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - What makes a holy grail?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:26 pm 

Mine is an odd choice, but it still remains one of the soundtracks I have most wanted for many years. The score is to the Empire pictures film Trancers. Almost ironic in the face of the Metalstorm release. Trancers has forever been one of my all time favorite B-films since the day I saw it, and I believe one of the main reasons I have wanted the score for so long was due to the fact that the end credits stated that there was a soundtrack release available from Radioactive Records. It would take another 10 years before I discovered that a score was never actually released.

After searching for so long, I just want to get this title so I can declare this one as officially No Longer Missing In Action.

This is the last title on my most wanted list.

Tai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:34 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:59 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:55 am 

So, the HOLY GRAIL applies to the top title on your want list, hmmm.

Well, mine is still a complete release of
A SHOT IN THE DARK - Henry Mancini

and the top 9 wants (in no order)
THE BLACK CAULDRON - Elmer Bernstein
OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith (deluxe expanded remastered etc)
HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein
GREMLINS - Jerry Goldsmith
TWISTED NERVE - Bernard Herrmann
THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI ACROSS THE EIGHTH DIMENSION - Michael Boddicker
SPARTACUS - Alex North
CANDLESHOE - Ron Goodwin
INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM -John Williams (complete)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:42 am 

A few of my holy grails *used* to be... complete non-boot versions of Alien, Monsignor, The Great Train Robbery... until Intrada worked their usual miracles in bringing them to us. Magic was another one, which VS supplied via their club. I have to say that a ton of my own grails have been found in the last few years. Complete versions of The Fury, The Swarm, Capricorn One, Coma, all three Omen scores... Obviously the emerging picture here is that I consider the late 70's to be the true shining moment for film scores in the stereo era (oddly enough that's right when I first fell in love with movie music, thanks to a little film called Close Encounters of the Third Kind). As for what remains out there...

I just watched 1979's Dracula again on DVD and there is a wealth of unreleased music to John Williams' score, which could also use a new mix or at least a re-master. The same is true of Jaws 2. A complete 1941, while not quite of grail significance, would definitely find a place of honor in my collection. Outland is obvious and would just about round off the great unreleased Goldsmith scores... although the LP release that we do have is still a rockin' good listen. I have LP rips of John Barry's Black Hole and The Deep but full score release of either would count as most holy in my hymn book. Someone else mentioned Horner's Something Wicked, which I thought was marvelous. A collection of his shorter scores, such as The Dresser, from that period would be most welcome, too. But now we're getting into things that would be 'nice' or 'welcome' and not necessarily quest-worthy.

So if I had to narrow it down, it'd be either of JW's MCA releases from 1978-79, Dracula or Jaws 2, done Intrada-style, meaning done to perfection. The fact that these were issued originally on Varese could be a reason for hope, or not.

As a postscript, and speaking as someone who has owned Alien on LP, cassette, the Silva CD, several (*cough boots *cough) and the DVD with the score in isolation, I have to say that, as holy grails go, Intrada's release has done something I would have thought impossible: brought me back to the score with the same fascination and awe that I felt nearly thirty years ago, when I unknowingly first put vinyl to turntable and had my ideas about music changed forever. There's really no way to describe my gratitude and respect for Intrada, for pulling this off and giving us the very best of the very best, truly an embarassment of riches. If suddenly the well dries up and there are no more holy grail releases for a long time, this one will last me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:29 am 

first item: a rare music.
second item: a memorable music that transcends decades.
third item: a music with a special meaning.
fourth item: a classic or cult film with a score.

Right on! And ALIEN and THE WIND AND THE LION (along with KING"S ROW at FSM) is the first time in a long while actual Holt Grails have been unearthed. Thanks Indiana Doug!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:50 am 

I agree. Recent years have brought me many I never thought possible -- Great Escape, Magnificent Seven, Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes, Devil's Brigade, Bridge at Remagen, Alien, Capricorn One, Planet of the Apes, Brubaker, Dirty Harry, Mysterious Island, and the list goes on and on. Three of these -- Dozen, Brigade and Bridge, I actually inquired about a year ago on this very forum as to whether there were any plans for release and it's like Intrada and FSM decided to personally reward me.

So with this magical power in mind, I ask again if anyone knows of plans to release the following...

None But the Brave
Flight of the Phoenix (DeVol version -- complete)
King Kong (James Newton Howard -- complete)
Hanna Barbera's action scores
Shootist
Sons of Katie Elder (complete)
Nevada Smith (complete)
Hour of the Gun (complete)
Hallelujah Trail (complete)
Getaway (Jones version)
Junior Bonner
Star Trek V (complete)
Star Trek II (complete)
Jurassic Park (complete)
Cowboys (complete)
Train Robbers
Chisum
Barquero
Hang em high (complete)
Lawrence of Arabia (complete)
1776 (complete)
Culpepper Cattle Co.

So are any of our favorite labels going to make me an even happier man?

I'm just wondering...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am 

My grails are distressingly modest.

LINK (Jerry Goldsmith)
RUNAWAY TRAIN (Trevor Jones)

They'll do me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next