[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - What makes a holy grail?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:06 am 

Hasn't been put forward yet, but is expected no doubt, my "just one" proper, complete, expansive literature from experts, magnificent presentation and exquisite mastering, would be North's SPARTACUS. Pretty much defines the "golden goblet", even though there is a "bootleg" and a "sampler" from MCA out there. I'm confident this grail will be produced.

Side topic: Some more Johnny Mandel ala Agatha or The Americanization of Emily would be most welcome, maybe even Sandpiper. Anyway I like The Seven-Ups/The Verdict, I'd get excited about another something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:15 am 

To me a "Holy Grail" doesn't have to be a single score, but it shouldn't be more than 10.

It should be something that was in print but now out of print or something that hasn't been fully released.

For me it would be Spartacus, El Cid, Spacecamp, and Quo Vadis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:06 am 

I guess mine is an official release of John Williams score for Alfred Hitchcock's FAMILY PLOT. I know there is an unnofficial release around, but I'd love to see this done right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:02 am 

Family Plot ? Of course, everyone would love to hear it on CD, I the first ! I also think that Doug and Roger - as the other fellows - would bring it to us today if only Universal let them do ! For us, it's an unreleased gem from John Williams; for Universal, it's only the soundtrack for one of the leakest Hitchcock movies... Look at Heartbeeps (the other Universal movie scored by Williams with a bad reputation), this one was limited to 3.000 copies, released in 2001 through the efforts of Varèse Sarabande and is still avaible: that's not a good demonstration !

Don't get me wrong: I would love to see it release; maybe one day...

To answer to Roger's question about what's an holy Grail...To me, the grail is something you deeply want to get and finally, once you get it, you stock it on your shelf with all your other preciooouuussss !
There always another next one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:36 am 

Well, it's rather dificult to pick just one. For me, holy grail can be...

- score released and very expensive to get (fortunatelly La Revolution Francaise or Chouans from DCM or The Burbs reduced this list over the years),

- score that might had been released before but missing majority of great/best/important cues/variations (Deep Water, Hellboy, ID4 2CD, Scream Trilogy complete scores, STAR TREK 1-2+5)

- or simply was not available at all (Godzilla, Spaceballs, Journey of Natty Gann, Pandaemonium).

Well, some of my holy grails had been released this year or I was lucky with some of the Delerue stuff on ebay and I still consider them my grails but when I would be forced to pick just a single unreleased score I would consider giving my left hand for, it would be Marco Beltrami's beautiful THE INVISIBLE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 am 

I LOVE Family Plot (the movie) almost as much as I do the score. I think it's extremely underrated. Likewise for the extremely different Frenzy.

Yavar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:36 pm 

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:43 pm 

Lokutus, La La Land Records released the nearly complete score to "Spaceballs" last year.

THE PRISONER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 am 

A holy grail should a long sought after object that restores us and elevates us to a greater understanding of our art. It should involve an arduous quest, fraught with difficulty and frustration, ultimately being resolved through forthrightness and perseverance. It should be personal choice, not a consensus.

My holy grail, has been and will always be: The Caine Mutiny (by Max Steiner).

I first heard the score in the film as a child and I remember loving the movie, especially the final scene with the men of the Caine and Lt. Barney Greenwald.

I dabbled in film scores but gradually fell away from the faith in the 80’s. On a whim, I bought Classic Film Scores for Humphrey Bogart – Casablanca and was renewed by the Charles Gerhardt recording of the Caine Mutiny March.

It was then that I learned that was no release on LP or CD save for a few test pressings and a bootleg LP made from those pressings and the legal trouble with RCA and Herman Wouk. I was told by someone who had actually had a cassette of the LP that I would be disappointed. (so true)

I talked to John Morgan, then of Marco Polo, about the score and he told me that he didn’t really think that there was that much music to the score and that what was there wasn’t very diverse. After poster on several threads he decided that he would take a look in Columbia’s vaults and see what remained of the score, recorded or written. This didn’t happen because there was talk of RCA Spain releasing a CD transfer of the old LP. Alas, this also fell through.

I was never able to acquire either the cassettes that the Max Steiner Society had available before the plug was pulled by the copyright holders, (when I discovered them they had announced that they would be putting these on CD so I decided to wait) but I suppose there is some small chance that BYU will one day issue this, but there are no plans presently.

A kind friend made me a CD of an LP transfer and this is the current state of my grail quest. It is maddingly frustrating as anyone who has heard the LP can attest what music there is obscured by dialogue and the second half of the LP is basically the court martial scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:21 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next