[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Yeah, I'm steamed...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:38 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:53 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:55 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:57 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:24 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
These days, I'm too busy to follow all that many web arguments about this or that, and, as it happens, I have missed this one completely. (Not that I like arguing for arguing's sake anyway.)

Is the price for Spellbound considerably higher then the one for Jason And The Argonauts or Julius Caeser or Ivanhoe? Yes, it is. But you know what? I have always considered the prices for these Excalibur releases incredibly cheap. I was thrilled when Jason And The Argonauts came out and could hardly believe that it didn't cost more than any other regularly priced CD. I'm as much on a budget as the next guy, and I have to consider where I spend my money on, particularly as I am not just buying film score CDs but many other CDs as well, not to mention that buying CDs is not my only hobby. I am saddened to hear that such fine releases as Jason And The Argonauts may not even recover their cost. Those were such quality products.

A new Spellbound recording is now coming, I'm thrilled again and can only support such fine efforts to record such scores. If one cannot afford it, or if one thinks the price is too steep, that's understandable. Then don't buy it.

But, keep in mind this: these are specialty products that cater to a niche market. Lower price does not equal higher sales in niche markets. You could offer Jason And The Argonauts in most record stores for $9.99 and it would linger, simply because most folks don't know what it is and don't care to know either and even if they sampled it, they'd forgo it for something else. You cannot compete over price with stuff like this, because there is only a limited audience. Look how long it takes for some "limited to 3000 copies" special editions, priced no higher than any Deutsche Grammophon CD, to sell out.

And "ripoff" is not just a bad choice of words, it's a lowball accusation. A "ripoff" is a cheat. It's a swindle, an exploitation. Nothing about Spellbounc is a "ripoff".

It's a brand new recording of a classic film score a few people in this world care about. Via the Internet you could glimpse at the recording session. You could hear audio samples. You get background details. You get all the information you could possibly want to know exactly what you would spend your money on if you bought it. If you think $23.- is not worth it, okay, I don't think anybody has a problem with that. Don't buy it. And if you wonder why it's more expensive that previous Excalibur releases, I think the questions have been answered.

But this is obviously a labor of love, and nobody is "cheated" or "ripped off", because what you get for your money is all out in the open. There are not "catches", no "fine print", no "hidden costs". I intend to buy this release, and I feel I know exactly what it is that I'm spending my money on. Which is why I won't feel cheated or "ripped off". I wish this release will sell enough units to encourage Intrada and others to produce more such recordings. It's a dim hope, I guess, but I wish it nevertheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:38 pm 

I seem to recall that when Elmer Bernstein's Film Music Collection was in full swing in the late 1970's (I was one of the several thousand members) that the lps were priced, of necessity, at $15.99. This would be the equivilent of around $45.00 in 2007, and the average lp in a store was $5.99, tops. I don't recall any concerns or complaints in 1977, but then, the internet was still 20 years away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:51 pm 

Good point, Steven. And then everybody complained for a while about the price FSM was charging for the complete CD set, remember?

Same old, same old.

In any case I think it's clear at this point that while tjguitar may have been a bit insensitive, this whole thing was mainly a misunderstanding due to his misunderstanding and misuse of the term "ripoff". ("You keep using tha' word...I do not think it means what you think it means.") He clearly did not mean it in the way everyone took it, so I hope we can all get along with him again cuz he ain't a bad guy.

Yavar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:16 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:32 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:01 pm 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next