[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Wanna help choose scores for the Walt Disney Concert Hall?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wanna help choose scores for the Walt Disney Concert Hall?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:49 pm 

As a few of you may know, I work in the L.A. Phil store (located in the Walt Disney Concert Hall). Though I'm a lowly employee on the pay scale, I'm regarded as a music expert so my opinion counts with my bosses. For some time now I've been trying to get more film music into the store. Up 'till now it's pretty much just been the odd Williams compilation, the fantastic Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone (thanks to me our single best-selling CD in the entire store, even beating out all the pop stuff), and random stuff like The Illusionist (but not Notes on a Scandal...weird, huh?) and The Painted Veil (I think just because it featured Lang Lang...blech). Oh yeah -- and the Esa-Pekka Salonen conducted Herrmann album, of course.

Recently, however, I've been approached by one of my bosses for advice on what general film scores to bring in. While I have my own ideas, I figured I'd come to my friend here for extra suggestions -- here's your chance for some input as to what film music a high profile general store should carry! Now just a few ground rules:

1. It has to be not only in-print but easy-to-get. Unfortunately that disqualifies a lot of great specialty album labels. My buyer has to be able to get it from her suppliers, so for the most part it needs to be major labels, unless I can somehow help work out a deal between her and FSM/SAE/Intrada/etc.

2. It has to be more high-profile stuff that sells to the general public. Or perhaps at least something where if I'm playing it on the store's speakers it's pleasant and bewitching enough to lure people into buying it even if it doesn't have a big name or something. I'm thinking I may be able to squeeze in something like Goldsmith's Medicine Man that way. :)

3. It has to be good. That's just my own special rule.

Any ideas, guys?

High profile jazz scores in particular are needed, since there's apparently a concert coming up that's based around. I've of course already submitted the obvious (to me) Streetcar Named Desire, Sunset Blvd., and Man With the Golden Arm, but are there any other ideas there? Newer stuff like The Russia House and Catch Me if You Can is probably okay, too.

Yavar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:47 pm 

Post subject: Re: Wanna help choose scores for the Walt Disney Concert Hal
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:43 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:01 am 

Actually I prefer The Sea Hawk by far. Robin Hood is excellent music but as you noted large portions of it are from Sursum Corda (and IIRC there was one bit from one other concert work) and IMO The Sea Hawk feels like a more complete (unpatched) tapestry. Plus, I like many of the themes better, especially the one for the love of England. This isn't colored by later discovery of Sursum Corda, because I already had these opinions at six or seven when I grew up with both scores in their respective films.

Yavar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:05 am 
Hello Yavar,

Very nice and kind of you to ask us (customers?) for help.
The list of "respectable" filmscores would have to include
Prokovief's "Ivan the Terrible" and "Alexander Nevsky"
(maybe those are already in the collection?)
I would also recommend the scores that feature a prominent
guest soloist. Think about the John Williams efforts since
"Schindlers List". or James Horner "Iris" (with Joshua Bell).
Some composers like Toru Takemitsu and Tan Dun
who write for movies as well as concert halls. In my humble opinion
no shop could do without Bernstein's "Mockingbird" and Herrmann's
Vertigo ánd the Ghost and Mrs. Muir. The Other Bernstein (Leonard)
could be considered too. Howard Shore might walk in the store one
day and wonder why his LOTR score are not there, you wouldn't
want to happen that while you were there!
The Delerue 2-cd compilation (Varese) would be nice
as well as some John Barry (Africa / Wolves).
Morricone just has to be there with the Mission
and Once Upon a Time in the West (and America)
Other composers for consideration: Rota, Rózsa, Desplat, Glass.
I better stop before I start mentioning every composer and score....
For (smooth) jazzy scores: Body Heat and Last Tango in Paris.
I almost forgot... (I understand the shop is located in or near the
Disney concert hall). There are two Disney "in classical style"
cd's from Delos: Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bach and Heigh-Ho Mozart.

good luck with your wishlist for the shop,
Wim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:46 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:57 am 

You might consider some of the Joe Hisaishi albums Milan records has released here, like Kikujiro, Spirited Away, and the Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite. I would think just playing Summer from Kikujiro might generate a few sales…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:47 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next