[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - First CD acquired: Dec. 24th, 1994

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First CD acquired: Dec. 24th, 1994
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:34 am 

Morning all,

I just felt the re-arrange one of my lists: by date of purchase. Well, yes, I have no life I can think of. So below you'll how I slowly but steadily increased my CD input, beginning on Christmas Eve 1994 (in brackets are scores that I re-bought [or CDrs replaced] at a later date, and which no longer figure in the year I first acquired them):

1994: 0 (2)
1995: 4 (1)
1996: 3
1997: 22 (2)
1998: 30
1999: 52 (3)
2000: 41 (1)
2001: 43 (7)
2002: 78 (3)
2003: 63 (4)
2004: 59
2005: 76 (1)
2006: 38
2007: 13

Total: 522 (24)

CK 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:27 am 

I surely cannot tell the exact dates of any of my purchases, though I do remember where / how and roughly when I got my CDs.

I bought the first ones in 1992, when I got my first CD player.
The flow naturally started increasing at the end of my studies and the start of my professional life in the late '90's, with surely one or two peaks.
This coincides with my first orders directly from the publishers (Intrada & FSM mostly, and Varèse), over the phone.
Ordering the scores exclusively online rather than in stores (for a few years now, with very few exceptions) helps save an order more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:25 am 

My first CD purchase was Dec 1988, I bought the Polydor Star Wars 2 disc album and We Wish You A Merry Christmas with John Williams and the Boston Pops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:36 am 

My first CD was bought on trip to Spain in Andora in summer 1995 and it was E.T. and I sold it many years ago, the second one was Star Wars Trilogy conducted by Kojian I found it under the christmas tree the same year and also sold that out few years ago or gave it to someone, so the first CD I bought and still have was bought in January 1996 and it was The Omen - quite an interesting start :)
Following CDs were Man without a face and Aliens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:19 am 

My first soundtrack was an lp Peter Gunn purchased in 1959.
tom

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance...that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
Herbert Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:29 am 
My first cd was a score... Return of the Jedi,
must have been 1983/1984, I didn't have a cd player yet,
but I was saving some money every month to buy one.
(the cheapest ones must have been around $ 500.- then)
I figured that I should buy some cd's first, so I had at least
some music to play when eventually the player would arrive.
Years later I did the same with dvd's.
I'm not buying any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.... yet, somehow
I lost the early adapter behaviour (and I'm glad about that :D .

greetings, Wim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:06 am 

I bought my first cds in 1983. I bought all 4 on the same day to go with my new player (whch was a sony that cost 450 dollars).

Rush - Moving Pictures
Pointer Sisters - Breakout!
Vivaldi - Four Seasons
John Williams - Raiders of the Lost Ark

It was a long wait for some of my favorites to be released on CD but I have almost everything I had on vinyl (that I want anyway) on CD and more besides.

Whenever I think back to those days, nearly 25 years ago now, it felt like something new and wonderful was happening. I don't get the same feeling with the new technology of digital downloading as I did with CDs. I guess it is because I don't really see any quality improvements over the existing format yet the way I did with CDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:12 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
I got two "first" CD purchases. I finally switched from LP to CD when Intrada released Goldsmith's Islands in the Stream; it was the first CD I ever ordered, and it arrived at my place on December 21st, 1987. However, just a couple of days before that CD arrived, I bought the Miklos Rozsa birthday album Colosseum (Varese's German partner) released (conducted by Elmer Bernstein), on December 19th, 1987. So one of these was my "first" CD; interestingly, it took me a while to listen to either CD, as I had yet to purchase a CD player. (I bought about a dozen or more CDs before I ever picked up a CD player.)

Though I should mention that by the time I bought my first CD, I already had an extensive record collection that included many film scores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:14 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:10 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:32 pm 

The first two CDs I bought were Michael Gibbs' HARD-BOILED and Leonard Rosenman's ROBOCOP 2. I still have both of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:10 pm 

A Patsy Cline album was the first CD my family got (just before we got a player; I nagged my parents to get the CD just so they'd have to buy a player finally...the year was 1996!)

First film score CD I knowingly listened to (and it got me started on the "hobby"): Last of the Mohicans in my great-uncle's car

First film score CD I received: Star Trek: First Contact for my birthday, from the same great-uncle. Haven't talked to him much since but he's a great guy. :)

Yavar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:21 pm 

The first CD I bought was around 94 or 95....first movie soundtrack I bought was in 2000.

Beyond that, hell if I know.

-Joshua

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:25 pm 

I remember buying THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY and BONNIE & CLYDE on lp in the summer of 1968, I would have been a few months shy of my 12th birthday. I recall buying the LP for AIRPORT in the spring of 1970, and later that summer bought 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY after seeing it in a Cinerama release at the UA Cine Theater in Dallas with some buddies in junior high school. I also remember buying the souvenir booklet in the lobby, it was late May of that year.

It's a little blurry, but I think my first cd was purchased in 1987, the year I got my first player. I believe it was the expanded RCA issue of Gerhardt's Waxman release, SUNSET BLVD. Or maybe THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS which had just come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:03 pm 

Some of my first filmscores on LP were spaghetti westerns. Still have "A Fistful of Dollars" by Morricone, "For a Few Dollars More" by Leroy Holmes and his Orchestra, "Day of Anger" by Riz Ortolani, and "The Big Gundown" by Morricone. Also bought "Hang 'Em High" by Frontiere, thinking it would also have that spaghetti western sound, but was a bit disappointed. However, I now enjoy the score for its own merits.

My first CD filmscore was purchased mid-1980's when I bought my first player. That was the Music from Alfred Hitchcock films by the Utah Synphony Orchestra on Varese.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next