[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Swimming Upstream...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:11 pm 

Oh I just thought of another that is roundly reviled - Goldsmith's US MARSHALS. This is JG's stab at Media Ventures land IMO (along with the choral writing in THE 13TH WARRIOR. It's brainless, but a breezy listen on the Varese album, and I would pay big time for an expanded release to have more of that final chase music with those wild snare drum attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:38 pm 

Last edited by Ron Pulliam on Thu May 03, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:03 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:22 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:23 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:28 am 

I'm in amazement that HEARTBEEPS is still in print!
It's a great score for a disasterous film, in the grand tradition of Goldsmith.

Goldsmith scored many duds, but Williams so few.

MISSION TO MARS is another, the film was a well meaning dud.
Morricone scored it with heart and a laugh...
Remember the sequence where Tim Robbins is floating stranded in Mars orbit and his wife's attempt to save him turns futile. Morricone punctuates the cable reaching it's limit just feet away from Robbins... and it was just hilarious. I love that score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:08 pm 
You guys really think "Heartbeeps" is a great score? Or are you just being contrary? :wink: Personally, I think it's a goofy cheesefest with a big heart, but by no means a very good score.

If I had to pick a John Williams score that I think is dismissed by far too many people, I would have to go with "A.I." One of my favorite Williams works, he did a remarkable job creating a musical meld that suited both Spielberg's sweet-spirited idealism and Stanley Kubrick's dark visions of the future.

I will most assuredly join that "Mission to Mars" crowd here, though. A truly remarkable piece of film music, without question.

Also, erm... I thought Hans Zimmer's "The Da Vinci Code" was an extremely rich, rewarding film score, one of my favorites of 2006.

Back at ya later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:40 pm 

Let me add my two "why aren't these masterful scores appreciated more!" entries...

PRESUMED INNOCENT (Williams) - A fantastic score despite it's mostly monothematic structure. The piano-driven theme would serve well as a movement in a Williams-composed piano concerto IMO. Maybe the somewhat liberal use of electronics in the score turns fans off. Speaking of which...

HOOSIERS (Goldsmith) - By far one of my favorite scores by Maestro Jerry. I just can't fathom why others are so vehemently disgusted by this score. The use of synths is oft-quoted as the reason, but I couldn't care less about them. It's a fantastic score, with a heart, that absolutely works for me in the film and as a standalone listening experience.

How about an expanded release somebody?!? I don't think that there's all that much left off of the TER release but what is missing is worth hearing. And make sure to check out the two tracks on the Hemdale compilation CD; they appear to be different mixes (possibly the film mixes) than what's on the TER CD.

"As long as the human spirit thrives on this planet, music in some living form will accompany and sustain it and give it expressive meaning." - Aaron Copland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:10 pm 

I've always found ST:IV a surprisingly good STAR TREK score. When I first heard that Rosenman was going to do it, way back when, I thought someone was off in the vapors, but I ultimately found it quite effective in the film's context and a very listenable album.

And HEARTBEEPS is also up to Williams' usual high standards. The fellow I place just a "heartbeep" behind Goldsmith, has never written an
indifferent score, in my humble opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:40 pm 

Nimoy and Rosenman are friends, so the choice makes sense from that perspective, but it certainly was unexpected.

Heartbeeps really is a charmer. About 15 years ago it was on the top of many wish lists of unreleased scores; now here it is and it hasn't sold out yet. Times change, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:06 am 

LOVE STORY and BILITIS by the incomparable (some might say 'notorious') Francis Lai.

"If music doesn`t sing, or dance, or have an interesting harmonic concept, then it shouldn`t be there at all. A film score should burn with its own fire, not merely glow in the dark like a pretty charcoal." – John Barry, 1972

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:56 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next