[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The Intrada Compilation album, When?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:53 am 

Post subject: WHAT YOU SAY?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:36 pm 
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Please explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:44 am 

I'm surprised that someone hasn't chimed in yet that for INTRADA to issue a compilation CD of their past releases, they would at least still have to have the licensing rights to the scores that they'd want to represent. Most of their high profile releases that went out of print have been picked up, repackaged, updated and made available again (anyone remember POLTERGEIST II? It originally was at Varese, then went to INTRADA and expanded, then back to Varese and expanded further.)

Comp albums are a bit of a half baked idea for me, but I do like some and in most cases only buy them when I see them in a cheap bargain bin. Although I prefer the original soundtrack recordings, re-recordings are fine, but most are poorly done. TELARC use to define the art of re-recording and, in some cases, even improved on the originals. Lately though they have left a lot to be desired. SILVA SCREEN is a whore when it comes to putting these things out. Most of the performances sound like crap, but have been getting better - the recent LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY comes to mind and was quite good. Also, Varese's recent THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY is great and is a real stand out gem for a compilation CD. It's so good that I didn't wait for it to show up in the bargain bin. Still, I wonder if they'll sell enough units to break even with this release.

This brings me to another point, It's too bad that INTRADA doesn't have a bigger catalog of re-recorded scores, like Varese does. Their recent release IN SESSION: A FILM MUSIC CELEBRATION was a great way to sample Varese's catalog of older re-recorded scores, which, in turn, prompted me to seek them out in their fuller representation. An advantage of these re-recordings, like INTRADA's past re-recorded release of RIO CONCHOS, is that they own them and don't need to worry about those pesky licensing rights.

So Doug... get over to Abby Road and start bulking up on your stock of re-recordings. Or, in the least, do a compilation CD that's in the same vein as THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY or a TELARC release. Perhaps a CD that showcases themes to scores that got rejected and then were re-scored. Just imagine how popular that would be? A CD with music from Shore's KONG and Yeard's TROY or even Bernstein's THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN. The possibilities and the list is endless - and I'm sure that even the nay sayers on here would be intrigued enough to buy it.

Just something to think about.

~ Oz

Last edited by TheOzMan on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: ATTACK OF THE KILLER POTATOES
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:11 am 
Half-baked pretty much describes it. One usually gets the feeling that a company put together a compilation because they didn't have anything else to put on the shelves. Most compilations seem to have the thinnest connective thematic threads holding their disparate selections together, resulting in a CD that often contains a large percentage of cues that one has little interest in listening to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:34 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:54 am 

Post subject: Re: WHAT YOU SAY?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:49 am 

Post subject: THE SUN OF ALL FEARS
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:55 am 
At least Morgan & Stromberg have given us a brand-new, splendid recording of TSAR.

Post subject: Re: WHAT YOU SAY?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:59 pm 

Post subject: THE ERROR ALSO RISES
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:07 pm 
Oops! I should've written that Morgan & Stromberg had given us a recording of THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, not TSAR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:10 pm 

quote]
As a supporter of INTRADA since they've opened, and with their first release, I have been "investing" in these NEW recordings for a long time. We all have. I only mentioned London as that's where Doug loves to go - perfectionist that he is, he doesn't seem to skimp when it comes to quality.

~ Oz[/quote]

Nice to hear. Thanks. We're always thinking about new re-recordings. But it's true I'm a perfectionist about performances. Which brings me to the cream of London's finest and recording studios like Abbey Road... and unfortunately also kind of paints me into a financial corner!
--Doug

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2