[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - In with the OLD, out with the NEW!!!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: In with the OLD, out with the NEW!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:00 pm 

[quote="Mike Skerritt"]
(If I'm misreading your post I apologize, but it sounds like you're taking posters to task for laying the blame on Zimmer.)[/quote]

Naw, my original intent was to get people to think about how the film industry has changed, with regards to this forum, obviously music reflects this progressing downward spiral. Zimmer merely came in at a time when he expertise and background in advancing music oriented technologies and hi interest in film scoring, pushed him to the forefront of the film composition. Not only is he talented and a visionary at what he does, but he also showed a path that made many young hopeful composers think that if they could hop onto his coat tails that they too could compose scores... so easily done, that they can do it right out the loft above their parents garage, no less.

If we were talking about Zimmer... seriously, when we the last time you saw his name, and HIS NAME ONLY, attached to a film? Has he ever scored a film all by his self? I can't remember... and that, I think, is very telling.

Oz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:09 pm 

Okay... let narrow this a bit?

If these OLD GUYS are out and the NEW ONES are in... then why is John Willaims still on the top of the heap when it comes to the top 100 composers working in Hollywood today?

There is a reason and it has nothing to do much of what we've covered here.

• If it's for budget reasons - he gets top dollar.
• If it's because he's an old fart who has lost touch with his or the newest generation of film watchers - then why doesn't that show and then why did he also have 4 of the highest profile films out there this year?

Perhaps it's consistancy? After all, in Hollywood, you're only as good as the last film you did. But does even THAT apply to Willaims?

I wonder how Broughton and Schifrin feel about that?

Oz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:30 pm 

I would say that Williams adapted his style to the changed industry which is the reason why he is still in-demand. A williams score of the new millenium sounds very different from a williams score of the 70's and it's not just due to the composer developing his style. People say that williams newer scores take its time until you fully appreciate them and I think that's the problem with his recent output: His music is not as accessable as it used to be but, as it seems, thats what they want from him these days.

John also has a lot of frequent collaborators like Spielberg, Lukas, etc which makes the situation much easier for him.

It is also evident that obvious thematic ideas are not what they want in Hollywood these days and most scores tend to be wall-to-wall scoring. The last time i left the cinema humming a theme was 2004's Polar Express which had an 'old-fashioned' thematic score by Alan Silvestri. The man is famous for his strong themes but did he score any films in 2006? No... but why? Maybe his thematic style is not fully appreciated anymore in the industry? Maybe that's another reason why other composers like Broughton, etc who come up with excellent thematic ideas are not hired anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:41 pm 

Yeah, I meant 2005 (sorry for the typo) and I certainly hope that it was his decision to take a year off. But then again, there was this interview for Soundtrack.net where he stated:

"Well, the next thing I have coming up, sitting out there, is a film for Disney called The Wild. The schedule has been delayed somewhat here now, so for the moment, that's the only thing hard and fast that's out there. We're always looking, but that's really it for now."

That was in 2004 and apparently there are still no other new upcoming projects for him besides the wild (Beowulf does not count because it is almost two years away). And the wild is not what i would call a project worthy of his talents. Give the man some drama or adventure!

But I am really curious: Did you attend the scoring sessions for The Wild?

By the way, what exactly does 'Poppycock' mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 pm 

I'm certainly not blaming it on team Zimmer. Hollywood is a business for the most part and Zimmer and his minions are only making good plays.

But three strait years of declining b.o., and if it continues, business will change, yet again, for who knows?

This is one time that I am not worried about what comes next.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2