Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Musicals. The genre of movies I'm the least...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:04 pm 

4/27/14

Musicals. The genre of movies I'm the least familiar with. Yeah, I've seen a few, but that's it. Can't explain why. Two of my favorite entertainments are West Side Story and Fiddler On The Roof so why I don't watch them more often... well, to quote Tevye's answer to a question in Fiddler's prologue: "I can tell you in one word. I don't know." So, to correct some of my neglect, I decided to throw a dart at my video library and see which Hollywood musical would entertain me last night. Work comes first... but there's got to be some fun. So off went the dart and my DVD of Oklahoma took the hit.

Ok. Never seen it. Tonight's the night. But upon looking at the info, I saw I needed to choose between a Todd-AO version and a CinemaScope version. Knowing little more than what the formats were, I phoned my resident musical expert and good friend Rick, who explained everything I needed to know. So it'll be the Todd-AO version. Rick then informed me of the brand new box set of Rodger's and Hammerstein musicals coming from Fox on Blu-ray, with Oklahoma receiving an all-new master. Good news, yes, but so much for my first choice. Ok. So I'll wait until the newly-ordered set arrives. On to my back-up movie. Carousel. Never seen it either. But it too comes in this new box. So I just decide to give up on R&H for the evening and throw my dart towards the Lerner & Loewe stack. Their stuff's pretty famous, too. So here goes. Toss. Boingggg... My Fair Lady. Fair enough. I haven't seen it either. And Andre Previn worked on it so I'm in.

What a great movie. Since everyone else already knows this, I'm just reminding myself. Yep, it's a terrific movie. Looks fabulous, sounds fabulous, moves well, Audrey Hepburn is in it, Previn scores it... all that stuff. Oh, and I loved how Previn sort of signed his name at the end of the opening credits. Sensational piece of music. I think I may just have to catch some more of these musicals. Next up? The Music Man maybe. Or Gigi. Whatever. It'll be a wonderful discovery, I'm sure.