Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Complaint department...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:07 pm 

9/26/12

Complaint department. Not about CDs but related. Blu-rays. Or rather, how some big boxes are selling them. I suppose it's related enough to movie music because I buy a lot of blu-rays just because of their scores. How else does one justify purchasing a blu-ray to Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend? (I rest that case.) Anyway, I've grown weary at how many tent-pole blu-rays now get released simultaneously in different versions, 2-discs, 3-discs, 4-discs, with DVDs, without DVDs, with digital downloads, without downloads, in 3D formats, what have you. Not reissues, not old movies restored... literally brand new titles being issued in a half dozen different versions. Often you buy a 3-disc version on line and walk away smiling until your buddy asks why you didn't pick up Best Buy's special exclusive 4-disc version. If this happened in our little soundtrack world people would run away in droves. Imagine: Intrada has the newest CD of Goldsmith's unused score for Rambo 8 and you're ordering it when you suddenly learn La-La Land's version has two extra tracks, yet the Varese version ups that with six totally different tracks, while Kritzerland has an exclusive on the end titles, and Quartet gets the exclusive on a CD video of Goldsmith at his sessions. Whatever. It'd be absurd. So here cometh my real complaint.

When JAWS finally hit, Best Buy had an exclusive in-store only version with desirable features. Several of us chased after it from store to store, each time being told it had sold out right away. Ok, I said. I remember this happening with limited soundtracks. I can figure it out. Except, in this case, I think of JAWS on blu-ray with Best Buy exclusives would rate enough copies to last awhile. So I was wrong. I'm a big kid. BUT yesterday, when Target released their latest "exclusive" on blu-ray, The Avengers, we went over to the not-very-convenient-but-closest store an hour after it opened and were told the "exclusive" Avengers was already sold out. Yep, gone. Vaporized. This time we pressed on. Ok sales manager? Just how many copies did you order of the year's biggest hit? And the response so floored me, I just had to vent it here. Target guy: We had 6 pre-orders so we added 4 more for the public. 10 copies total!! Say what??? I was literally floored. They had more barrels of cheese balls in the food department!! So it was instantly obvious why they were sold out that fast but what wasn't obvious is why would Target pay for, or why would the licensors allow, exclusives like this going to big box stores that'll certainly advertise them to get you to go into their locations ONLY to find they stocked just 10 copies to sell. In fact, actually just 4 at this Target. (I remember people being left out in the cold once when we had 3000 copies of Explorers to sell. I wonder what would have happened if we only had 10 copies?) It's not just annoying to waste an hour of time like this but it leaves a bad taste about ever going into Target again. What a disappointment big boxes like Best Buy and Target and Walmart are all getting to be.