Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Everyone has heroes...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:13 pm 

1/31/11

Everyone has heroes. Film music fans are no different. With John Barry's passing, we have lost one of ours. The voice of 007, of King Henry and Eleanor, of Harry Palmer and Elsa the Lioness, of John Dunbar and an entire Zulu nation... the man behind the voices is now gone. But what music he has left behind!

My one little personalized tidbit with John Barry comes from a story oft-told in our office here. 1984. I was working in my tiny corner of our fledgling retail soundtrack store when the phone rang. I picked it up and John Barry was on the other end. After regaining my breath I asked how I could help. He said he was trying to get on a particular picture. It wasn't a certainty yet but a box of his older records mailed to the director might just clinch the deal. He then fired off a bunch of random titles: The Lion In Winter, Born Free, Mary Queen Of Scots, The Ipcress File, The Whisperers, The Last Valley, Somewhere In Time... really classic stuff. Our shop had a lot of them. He gave me the mailing instructions... to Sydney Pollack at a temporary production address in Africa... and rattled off his credit card info. Yeah. I had John Barry's credit card number in one hand and Sydney Pollack's address in the other. Good thing I was honest. Anyway, I did as he requested and the rest, as they say, is history. Who could've known?

So many voices of great film music have moved on to that big concert hall of the skies. Now John Barry takes his baton and joins with those who went before him.

The number of genuine heroes in film music has just become fewer. And tomorrow... there will be fewer still.

John Barry, may you rest in peace.