[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - November 2006

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: November 2006
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

11/2/06

I remember this happening before so this seems familiar. I refer to - of course - Ennio Morricone. This week he's on the loose again.

I'm still cherishing the expanded DUCK, YOU SUCKER that recently came out. 2 CDs worth! Naturally, I've barely taken in the pleasures of the expanded GUNS FOR SAN SEBASTIAN that also just happened. What a gem, too - if I can find the time!

And here I now see in front of me, begging my attention: a brand new, expanded ADDIO FRATELLO CRUDELE. It's a 1970 effort. What I had previously (a half hour on LP) was precious! So I can't wait. But I'll have to. Also competing for the time is E RIDENDO L'UCCISE. It's a new historical movie, set in Ferrara during the early 1500's. Morricone territory for sure!

But I won't get off that easy. There's still more. Something called LA SCONOSCIUTA beckons, too. This one's a new Giuseppe Tornatore movie. Think CINEMA PARADISO. We know what a success Tornatore and Morricone can be. And there's also this new edition of CAT O' NINE TAILS sitting here. Another Morricone feast for sure!

But why stop now? The prolific Italian's have also just dropped a new 2-CD expanded "official release" for LA PIOVRA, edited by the Maestro himself.

Finally, there's Bruno Nicolai's ZENABEL, with Morricone at the podium. Which then leads to this new Nicolai CD UNA VERGINE TRA I MORTI VIVENTI, which leads to...

Might I just humbly suggest you grab our new Bruce Broughton release instead, and save your sanity. At least it's the only Broughton album to come out this week!

11/7/06

Get out and vote. Then take time to watch MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. Just out on DVD. It'll help clear up some stuff.

I speak -of course - of the Brando movie. It's the roadshow version, too, contrary to a few rumours. We're talking Overture, Intermission, so forth, all in spectacular 5.1 audio. I was just a kid when the movie played on ABC in 1967 but I did see it. Like other viewers I saw an opening and closing that weren't in the theatrical presentation, roadshow or otherwise. The filmed opening "Prologue" and "Epilogue" were attached to the film at one point before release but were dropped BEFORE the roadshow premiere in 1962.

Happily, the DVD offers both as a bonus feature, so they aren't actually attached to the movie. Which is a good thing. They always seemed odd, just touching on the third book of the famous trilogy ("Pitcairn Island"), turning the entire movie into a flashback. Without them, the basic narrative is straightforward, which feels better.

It's really cool to hear the alternate ending, however. If you were around collecting soundtracks in the sixties, they didn't get much better than MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, in a deluxe box, with a book. A few pressings had this alternate ending, both in stereo and mono. But these were short-lived and the familiar versions ultimately got around. But the liner notes never were corrected. So the book text spoke of an ending tragically reprising that incredible Bounty theme when most copies concluded with the choral "Follow Me" love theme instead!

Extra tidbit. The magnificent FSM presentation with several different endings STILL doesn't include this particular one - in my opinion the best. It's the one that actually does end in a triumphant fashion, major key, timpani pounding away. Ironically, the film's unused Epilogue itself edits this version, albeit the final bars are still there.

The movie's quite a production. They actually built a vessel to replicate the original Bounty and filmed aboard it. Today, it'd be ruled by CGI for sure.

Check this one out!

11/8/06

Intrada shares with you in mourning the passing of one of the greats of movie music: Basil Poledouris. His gifts touched just about every producer, film maker, musician, soundtrack company, aficionado, and casual fan in the film industry.

His music inspired us to start our label. His customary generosity made that first album happen. What musical treasures he left for us all to enjoy!

Basil loved the outdoors, the water, the rush of salty air as he went boating. My last contact with him was over those very waters he so treasured.

I'll not see, nor feel, nor hear the likes of him again.

Ever.

11/14/06

It's not sold out but it's going. We've got about 220 copies of ELOISE on hand. Given the nature of these beasts lately, I figured you'd want to know. If you're contemplating a copy but need that extra incentive, take this into consideration. Besides, you'll get two great scores when you make the plunge.

Our next release is also a Signature Edition. It looks to be arriving the week of the 26th. We'll nail a date down right after Turkey Day. Depending on our mood, we might toss yet another one out before you have to start wrapping Christmas gifts.

Yep, the end of 2006 is near. Time does fly!

11/18/06

What a joy to see Bond back in action! That's a good thing. No spoilers so read on.

They got it right. Their star's up to the part, looks really good. Solid action, stunts up the wazoo. And a story! I'm not convinced the last couple of Bonds had one of those.

And they let their composer contribute to the title song! It makes a difference. Parentheses here. I honestly think the worst Bond title song's gotta be that mess in DIE ANOTHER DAY. Man. It almost kills the movie right there.

Anyway, I always wondered what 007 movies would feel like with Jerry Goldsmith in the background. Now I've got an idea, at least. David Arnold goes for a kind of Goldsmith-ish idiom. Aggressive rhythms, pulsating ostinatos, little motifs driving the melodic hook. It's edgy stuff!

The album offers the lion's share of things. Remaining tidbits are available on line. The title song's not on the album, though. You've gotta get a separate single for that. So get the CD, grab the extra tracks on line, go find the single - you've pretty much lassoed in the whole thing. Marketing strategies behind all this should be a featurette in the Wall Street Journal!

I'm off now for one full week. Not that you care but I'll be overseas for a few days on business. I'll be back after the 1st of December. We've got our next Signature Edition due around that time as well. Probably just a few days into December. Watch our site for a proper announcement so you don't miss out. We'll probably have yet another one out within a week or two of that. I'll know when I get back. I can also say with confidence we've got a really special release coming up later in January. It's certainly gonna grab some attention. And, of course, there's our third AMAZING STORIES anthology being readied. I don't see much rest ahead for George back in the mail room. Not until next summer, anyway!

But that's a good thing, too. Talk to you in a week.

11/25/06

Back from trip to Eastern Europe. Splendid week will yield exciting project for March-April period. Other developments will allow cool stuff for the coming months ahead, too! I'll have to catch my breath quickly since we've also got a new release coming out in just a few days - and another one a week or so after that!

In fact, we've got a pretty full slate for several months ahead. I'll post more news after the weekend. First, it's time to catch up on some zzzzzs!

11/30/06

The place to be at 5:15 (or so) our time this afternoon. Right here. We'll post a new Signature Edition for you to enjoy. Orders should begin shipping tomorrow afternoon. Scares and action with a wink!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]