Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BRAINSTORM Complete Score by James Horner
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:51 pm 

Any chance would could get a complete score release for James Horner's BRAINSTORM score? The original Varese Sarabande was very short and nowhere near complete. I'm thinking if WILLOW can get a complete release, so should BRAINSTORM.

Post subject: Re: BRAINSTORM Complete Score by James Horner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:17 am 

If Varese has an ongoing option on this title, there could be a problem getting a release of the original film tracks. Even though the label only released a re-recorded version, it appears that if Varese has an ongoing option, no-one else can legitimately issue the original film tracks. This was pointed out to me in the case of Rozsa's EYE OF THE NEEDLE, which Varese re-recorded in Germany. (As there would have been only minimal re-use fees to pay with the original tracks as recorded by the Royal Philharmonic, I have never understood why Varese had to re-record in Germany, and the sonics of that recording session were not ideal.) A release of the original film tracks of BRAINSTORM would be wonderful, but I'm not optimistic!

Post subject: Re: BRAINSTORM Complete Score by James Horner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:56 pm 

Thanks -- yeah, I saw that about another score being exclusively licensed to Varese Sarabande (Not sure if it was EYE OF THE NEEDLE). I was hoping this was not the case with Brainstorm. I'm not all that familiar with the legal dynamics of music licensing, but I recall the soundtrack to LIFEFORCE having been on the Varese label as well. And yet, we did get an expanded score for that on another label (the version I have is on the BSX Records label).

Hopefully, there's a legal way around it and an expanded score for BRAINSTORM would be possible...?