Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Midnight Madness - Julius Wechter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:19 am 

Disney's 1980 film Midnight Madness was a big flop, but it became a monstrous cult hit thanks to endless airings on HBO in the 1980s, as well as appearances by soon-to-be-famous actors Michael J. Fox and Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee Herman), plus David Naughton (An American Werewolf in London) and Stephen Furst (Animal House). In the 21st century, it spawned real-life Great All-Nighter adventure games.

The score was the only feature done by Julius Wechter (father of director David Wechter), a member of Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass, frontman of the Baja Marimba Band, and a session player for Burt Bacharach, The Beach Boys, Cream, The Monkees, Sonny and Cher, and others.

In addition to the earworm theme song (cowritten by son David), the score for this film is kind of infectious. Harold's theme in particular, which recurs throughout, would be instantly recognizable to fans. There are also a couple of disco songs that play in the background which have never been heard in their entirety. The closest that the movie's ever come to a soundtrack release is a demo of the title track, which appeared as a bonus on Kritzerland's soundtrack for David's short film "Junior High School."

Practically every other score that I've ever wanted has gotten some kind of release, and I'm hopeful that this one will too someday.

Post subject: Re: Midnight Madness - Julius Wechter
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:33 pm 

Now that I can post, a big HELL YES!

This is a fave guilty flick - utterly ridiculous but charming. I'd pounce on an album immediately.