Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scores by Jon Brion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:28 am 

Rather then making a post for each individual score, I figured I’d just discuss them all here. Jon Brion, my personal favorite composer, though not being quite as prolific as some of the bigger names in the industry, has proved himself to be a inventive, original, and talented musician.

Unfortunately though, I don’t believe a single one of his film scores to date has been complete upon its release, or has received an expansion. Though there are a lot of his scores to chose from, I think those that would most benefit from expansions the most are his scores for Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and Paranorman.

Magnolia, so far, has only received a promo score. It’s missing roughly six minutes of music and also omits some film versions of cues. While the sound isn’t terrible, a remastered and complete version would be more than welcomed!

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (my personal favorite) omits some of the film’s most integral cues in favor of often short (sometimes even 8-15 second) cues! From the music used as Joel and Clementine gaze into the night sky while on the ice, to their farewell before his mind is inevitably erased, there are a long list of cues that definitely deserve to be released!

Paranorman doesn’t have an awful soundtrack release by any means. Most of the score for the film is contained within the original soundtrack (if being mixed into long tracks containing multiple cues), with the glaring exception of basically the entire climax. From the eerie music as the characters arrive at the forest, to fantastic music used during Norman’s confrontation with Aggie (which is arguably the best cue written for the film) some of the films most memorable music was left off for unknown reasons? There is a track entitled “Aggie Fights” on the soundtrack, though it is completely unused in the film

I would love to see these eventually receive expansions. There doesn’t seem to be whole talk about Mr. Brion, which is a shame. I think he’s one of the finest current composers.

Post subject: Re: Scores by Jon Brion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 am 

Absolutely agree with everything you said. I would buy any score from Jon Brion. There are are fans of his productions for other artists and his own solo album, Meaningless, that would likely buy these scores too.