Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomorrowland, by Michael Giacchino
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:20 pm 

Please consider reaching out to Michael Giacchino and see about obtaining some/all of the recording sessions for his masterful score to Disney's "Tomorrowland." I know that the movie wasn't well-received by many, but the music score is impeccable, highlighted by several distinct french horn solos representing various themes. There's even a fan website dedicated to this movie, where I was able to find a detailed tracking list of all the music themes as featured in the movie itself. I personally loved the movie and have a "Tomorrowland pin" on my work lanyard all the time. No, the pin doesn't work, as its battery died. :-)

Currently, the one-disc release (from Walt Disney Records and, subsequently, from Intrada -- or were they the same release? I'm not sure...) is going for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Apparently, the release of the CD was cut short, and so there remains to be some demand for this wonderful Giacchino score, from a year (2015) of several great Giacchino works.

Bring back Tomorrowland, in an expanded edition, for the rest of us optimists. (Yes, there are still a few optimists out there, even in this depressing day and age...)

Post subject: Re: Tomorrowland, by Michael Giacchino
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:17 pm 

I also suggested this some time ago, and also can't find enough superlatives for this score. This wasn't one of the joint Intrada/Disney titles, but one on Disney's own label. There would seem to scope for a release through Intrada, but I suspect Disney may not be interested in licensing this title (or many others from their back catalog). When is the last time there was a joint Intrada/Disney release? (Quite a while I think.)

Post subject: Re: Tomorrowland, by Michael Giacchino
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 pm 

Good point. I do hope that, perhaps in honor of Walt Disney's endless optimism regarding "Tomorrowland" concepts (as evidenced in the 1964 New York World's Fair, the "Carousel of Progress" attraction, and the Sherman Brothers' "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" song), hopefully the Disney company (and Giacchino himself) will see that there is significant interest in this gem of a soundtrack score, in part because of the movie's unabashed optimism. (Personally, I can't get enough of "Pin-Ultimate Experience" and similar-sounding tracks. With the french horns leading the way, along with syncopated strings and Gloria Cheng's sprightly piano arpeggios, it's a great track.). Apparently, the recording sessions were available at one point, for online downloads, before being discontinued at Giacchino's request.

With "Jupiter Ascending," "Inside Out," "Jurassic World," and "Tomorrowland" all coming out in 2015, it was a red-banner year for Giacchino, I think. I purchased all four soundtracks when they originally came out. When I heard that there were recording sessions for "Tomorrowland," with extended music there, I immediately hoped for an expanded CD release from Intrada.

As for speculation regarding an Intrada/Disney release, Doug did mention in his "Doug's Corner" comment from 6/21/21, this tantalizing tidbit: "Coming next from Intrada is another one to savor, courtesy of our relationship with Disney. Stay tuned."

One can hope.