Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRIME CUT by Lalo Schifrin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:28 pm 

It's not surprising that portions of Schifrin's score for this 1972 movie sound as though they could have been outtakes for his earlier celebrated LP THERE'S A WHOLE LALO SCHIFRIN GOIN' ON (i.e. his game attempt to parody popular music). The movie (starring Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman) is very curious indeed. It has to be said there isn't a great amount of scoring (but perhaps Schifrin composed more than was used, e.g. there is a very brief orchestral outburst at the start of the thresher chase which does sound a bit truncated). I believe that UCLA would have the music elements for these CBS movies (but who can say whether they'd be suitable for release?).

Post subject: Re: PRIME CUT by Lalo Schifrin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:16 pm 

There's more of THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST that owes it's origins to THERE'S A WHOLE LALO SCHIFREIN GOIN' ON. Prime Cut was a very spare sharp score I would love to see released. The high points for me would be the driving theme when Marvin and his crew head out from Chicago, the neat hoedown for their arrival at Hackman's farm, the weirdly romantic theme for the scene between "Weenie" and Violet in the greenhouse, the final assault on Hackman's farm, and the whistled version of the main theme for the end titles. Like yourself, I can only hope there's more that wasn't used in the film.

The only other "Cinema Center Films/National General FIlm" to pair it with that Schifrin scored was the really obscure and seemingly lost Beau Bridges 1970 film about a young tennis player called THE CHRISTIAN LICORICE STORE. This has a couple of Tim McIntire songs in a club sequence also.

Post subject: Re: PRIME CUT by Lalo Schifrin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 pm 

Another option for a Cinema Center title which could be coupled with PRIME CUT, is the unused score he wrote for THE REIVERS.