Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BABY DOLL by Kenyon Hopkins
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:36 am 

Though many film scores from the 1950's on the Columbia/CBS label were re-issued on vinyl (especially in Japan), this title (unless I'm mistaken) didn't get an LP re-issue until the late 1990's from Sony in the U.S. (Apart from the reduction in vinyl surface noise on the original LP edition, the rawness on that edition was greatly reduced on the re-issue.) I don't think the first legitimate CD edition appeared until 2003 from 2003. However that is problematic because, while the track listings appear to be the same name, the opening credits music is missing from the CD! (There is also a Spanish CD edition from about three years on the Calle Mayor label with different front cover artwork, but that seems to be extremely hard to find.) So there is a case for a new CD edition of BABY DOLL, more faithful to the original sonics and with the opening credits music restored. This is certainly a short program, so could it be combined with the Kenyon Hopkins TV score EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE, also from Sony Music. (While Sony brought this out in 2013, it was a MANUFACTURED ON DEMAND edition with limited availability and spartan packaging with no liner notes.) This wouldn't be heretical for Intrada, as they brought out a Quincy Jones double (MACKLENNA'S GOLD + IN COLD BLOOD) some years back, even though Universal Music France had just released the latter title as part of their 6 disc box set THE CINEMA OF QUINCY JONES.

Post subject: Re: BABY DOLL by Kenyon Hopkins
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 pm 

I didn't know the opening credits music is missing from the DRG CD. I'm glad I didn't buy it awhile back when I saw it at a music store...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:32 pm 

"I didn't know the opening credits music is missing from the DRG CD. I'm glad I didn't buy it awhile back when I saw it at a music store..."

I don't want to be accused of spreading misinformation, so I'm going to check out again my copy of the DRG CD. Having previously owned both the original and re-issue LP editions, I was quite surprised upon playing the DRG CD, that the opening credits music was missing, unless my mind has been playing tricks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 pm 

I checked the DRG CD of this title, and it's definitely missing the opening credits music.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:10 pm 

Wow. I have that CD, and I had no idea it was missing (important!) music compared with the LP. What the hell?

Yavar