Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Born Free Expanded Score John Barry
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:06 am 

Like I said in the La Bamba post, the Twilight Time Blu-Ray has the Isolated Score Track, except there’s nothing wrong with this one. Some of the dialogue can be heard in a few scenes, but other than that, it’s not that distracting. It’s just that I looked at one of Intrada's older releases, The Black Stallion by Carmine Coppola, and it contained original, revised, and unused score, and the original 1979 soundtrack. It’s basically what I’m trying to explain for this release. I listened to the original 1966 soundtrack and the 2000 album by Fredrick Talgorn and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and one thing I noticed there were a few differences between these two albums and the original score in the movie, especially the Reunion - Finale track. Instead of playing the title song sung by Matt Monro, it plays the original theme conducted by John Barry. It even sounds different in the theatrical trailer. This Born Free release should get the same treatment as The Black Stallion; The original, revised and unused score from the film (if possible), and the original 1966 soundtrack.

Post subject: Re: Born Free Expanded Score John Barry
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:14 pm 

Sadly the original tracks for the movie have disappeared. Reading the liner notes for FSM's release of the 1966 MGM LP release, I was amused that Barry insisted that there be a separate recording session for the LP, as the movie sessions had been rushed and contained lots of technical glitches (which producer Carl Foreman declared would be obscured by the lions roaring in the movie, to which the composer responded that there would be no such animal intervention on the album). As much as I like the extended Frederic Talgorn performance of the score, it's a bit curious that the track entitled "Killing at Kiunga" is entirely different to what appeared on the LP, and why wasn't the music for the man-eater which immediately followed the opening credits, recorded (considering so much other previously unrecorded music was included)? Initially producer Foreman wanted to exclude the Matt Monro vocals altogether, but this song had such an extraordinary number of "cover" versions right from the start, it was restored to the movie print so it could qualify for an Oscar nomination for "Best Song".