[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm 

In 1986, Geffen Records released the soundtrack for the film on vinyl, CD and cassette, and currently it's available digitally. Actually, I don't think it's EVER been out of print - which is something that one can seldom say about a movie soundtrack!

The problem, however, is that in addition to not including Miles Goodman's Oscar-nominated score, it doesn't match the film at all - off the top of my head, I think "Da-Doo!," "Dentist!" and "Suddenly Seymour" are the only songs that would (almost) sync if played against the movie. I honestly can't complain that several songs include additional verses ("Some Fun Now," "The Meek Shall Inherit," "Mean Green Mother from Outer Space"), but others have completely different vocals (the title track, "Downtown"), some are missing portions of the film's orchestrations ("Grow for Me," "Somewhere That's Green," "Feed Me"), the entire opening segment of "Don't Feed the Plants" was omitted, "Suppertime II" and the (originally deleted) reprise of "Somewhere That's Green" were not included, and "Your Day Begins Tonight," a song composed-and-recorded-but-rejected for the end credits, has never been released in any form anywhere. The original '90s DVD releases included an isolated music track (which was used to get bootlegs circulating in fandom), but the isolated track was not included on the blu-ray. The only other music officially issued are a few demos composed for the film, which surfaced as bonuses on the 2003 Broadway revival CD.

When work began on the "Director's Cut" in 2011, the restoration team tracked down the 24-track master tapes (reportedly in good shape) and utilized them to extend "Mean Green Mother" and restore the reprise of "Somewhere That's Green" and "Don't Feed the Plants." Unfortunately, they seem to have been returned to the WB vaults, as I've never caught wind of any plans to release them. Composer Alan Menken once remarked that there was enough material from the recording sessions to issue 3 full-length albums.

"Little Shop" is an enduring cult classic with legions of fans (thanks in part to stage productions continuously being performed around the world), and I can absolutely guarantee that if Intrada released a lavish multi-disc edition soundtrack, it'd sell out quickly and become a highly sought-after collector's item (in other words, if it happens, don't limit it to a minuscule 1,000-disc pressing for greedy resellers to snap up and gouge fans!).

Post subject: Re: Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:52 am 

I wholeheartedly agree. And I would definitely buy it if it was released.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:48 pm 

This thread (and soundtrack, for that matter) deserves more attention. Is there any chance a set like this could be released?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 pm 

I'd buy it (probably).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:53 pm 

I bought this on vinyl in the late 80s, then again on CD in the early 90s, and I'd snap up a deluxe edition from Intrada faster than Audrey 2 can gobble down psychotic dentists.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 pm 

I would live to hear the orchestral stuff too, like when Seymore is feeding Orin to the plant. Its just begging for a intrada release

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm 

So is there any chance of this one actually happening?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:04 pm 

I just stumbled into this forum for the first time in over a year, fully expecting this thread to be buried and forgotten... and here it is near the top of the page! I know that a special edition would sell well if anyone ever gets around to releasing it, and it makes me happy to know that there are others who agree!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:55 pm 

It's my favorite musical of all time, so if this were to be released, I'd buy it quicker than you can say "Feed Me!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:34 am 

This would most certainly be a first-day pre-order click from me, too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:21 pm 

I hate to break this to you but this is a project for WaterTower Music more so than Intrada since the original CD came out through Geffen Records in which any expansion would have to involve Universal Music Group (UMG) as well.

This is a project that should've been done for the films' 25th Anniversary ten years ago and for apperent legal reasons, it didn't happen. The other time that this could've been done was when Warner released the restored original version of the film in 2012 on Blu Ray and DVD. Even then I was surprised that they didn't do anything special for the soundtrack. I guess is due to royalties to the actors and performers who are apart of the Screen Actors Guild and the reuse fees would start from zero and that would be costly. Perhaps, this was the reason this didn't happen.

If it were to happen now, it would probably still be through Warner's label.