Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Missing Link - Roy Budd / Leo Sayer / Paul Fishmann
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm 

I was wondering how many people would be interested in seeing Intrada reissue the soundtrack for the 1980 animated movie 'The Missing Link'? The score was composed by Roy Budd, with original songs written and performed by Leo Sayer and additional music provided by Paul Fishmann.

While I don't think it's Roy Budd's best score, it's still quite a pleasant listen (according to an interview in a 1984 issue of Soundtrack Magazine, Roy Budd said he composed the score in six days as a last minute replacement for another score that had been rejected by the film's producers - it does sound quite rushed, but with that in mind it's quite impressive that he came up with what he did in such a short amount of time) and it would be nice if one of his lesser-known works was made available again, plus the original songs are all good. It would also be great if Intrada was able to expand the soundtrack as well to include all the music from the film as well as the different album and movie versions of the cues and songs (e.g. the album and movie versions of the opening titles music are noticeably different from each other and the song that plays during the end credits had a whole section removed from the album), as well as include some extras like alternate versions (e.g. one of the cues on the album has bird sound effects throughout - it would be nice to hear this track on its own without the sound effects).

On a side note, despite the film already existing in English, there was an American dub released a few years later called 'B.C. Rock' which had, along with new voices and dialogue, a new soundtrack composed by Alan Brewer and Anna Pepper that featured several popular musicians, including Rick Wakeman, Steel Breeze and Rick Derringer amongst others. Unlike 'The Missing Link' which had an accompanying soundtrack album, 'B.C. Rock' never got a soundtrack release at all and only a handful of the songs have been made available. While I didn't like the new voices and dialogue in the American dub, I did quite like the new soundtrack; it would be nice if the American soundtrack got released too, but unfortunately I doubt it will anytime soon as there'll probably be legal issues due to all the different artists who featured on it. Still, I hope it'll get a full release someday.