Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Airport '77 - 40th Anniversary a fitting occasion.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:06 pm 

Being the film and score that sparked my initial interest, this year provides a great opportunity for a "anniversary" release. Would anyone else out there appreciate a helping of Mr Cacavas' music?

I recently purchased a copy of John Cacavas' "It's more than Do-Re-Mi: My Life in Music". Chapter 41 "Loyalty" briefly recounts his involvement with "Airport '77". Having scored Airport 1975, the producer, William Frye, sought his services for '77. Unfortunately Jennings Lang, the executive producer, had other plans - wanting a "big name" - i.e. Jerry Goldsmith. When Mr Goldsmith proved unavailable Lang still insisted on a "big name" composer. Frye continued going to bat for John and "finally Lang gave in". To his credit he states "the movie was successful and my score was well received by the studio".

As the film was a financial success (albeit to a slightly lesser degree than it's immediate forebears) it begs the question of whether the aforementioned resistance by the top brass played a part in the lack of a soundtrack album at the time. Of the twelve Universal-made films released in 1977 6 had MCA soundtrack albums released at the time (Heroes, Rollercoaster, Scott Joplin, Smokey and the Bandit, 9/30/55, MacArthur - since then Intrada has released Leonard Rosenman's great score for "The Car"). And all three foreign and independent films released that year by the Studio had MCA albums released (The Choirboys, The Slipper and the Rose, Sorcerer).

Going on web sources the film grossed about $30 million domestically which likely put it in the Top 20 films of the year and, if Wikipedia can be relied upon, was number 1 at the box office for 3 weeks.

While we Cacavas fans and 70's disaster movie enthusiasts may be limited in numbers - maybe this year presents an auspicious occasion for voicing our support for a release. Maybe even indicate if we will support to the extent of buying more than one copy. I'd be down for three. This is not intended to be seen as supporting hoarding or market speculation, just to say "I support this with a little more oomph than usual." I'm sure exposure to the track samples, once released, would definitely entice some new to the film or Mr Cacavas' music. - the film has a great main title that provides a noble fanfare for the big bird's landing at the opening, and much more besides - including Mr Cacavas' signature use of electronics with traditional orchestra - dig that moog!

Post subject: Re: Airport '77 - 40th Anniversary a fitting occasion.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:53 am 

Airport series is among my grails, and ''77 is at the top of the list (followed by the also unreleased 79).

Great theme. The score seems to be very short in the film, maybe there's some unused music.

Being Universal I have high hope that Intrada will release it at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:40 pm 

Thank you for your support Danbeck :D

I also love Schifrin's "Airport '79".

Maybe the series will materialise a-la JAWS, working backwards from 4 to 1 ....

I've conducted an audit this morning and the Cacavas score consists of the following (^Indicates a longer version of the cue as appears in the extended broadcast TV version). Cue titles are mine.
1. Prologue 0:47
2. Main Title 2:20
3. Case Swap 1:24
4. Banker's Disguise 1:18
5. Planting the Gas 2:13
6. Take Off 1:00
7. Taking Over (Part 1&2) 4:16
8. **Spoiler Alert** Crash 3:25
9. Going Under 0:34
10. Julie & Steve 1:26
11. Patroni & Stevens^ 0:47
12. It's Started^ 1:09
13. Gates of Hell 4:21
14. Located 0:45
15. Rescue Preparations 1:19
16. Scuba Team 8:03
17. Surfacing 1:31
18 End Title 2:52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 pm 

Agreed. I would love to see this one released.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 pm 

The actual 40th anniversary of the US theatrical release date warrants a bump, no?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 pm 

To the powers-that-be: Is there any known reason that this can not happen?

Someone on the Facebook group for the film claimed in October 2014 to have a one-sided LP (acetate?) with 7 tracks of score from Airport '77. Their complete non-response when asked to share a pic of this makes me think some trolling was going on.

If this exists, perhaps an LP was planned. Can a planned-but-never-released album be a spanner in the works for Intrada?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:11 pm 

I would like to see all of the Airport scores released on cd.