Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON by Ken Thorne & Donovan
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 pm 

Although the Riz Ortolani score for the original Italian version of this movie (FRATELLO SOLE, SORELLA LUNA) has been re-issued several times on LP and CD (and is currently available as a typically expensive vinyl edition), the music for the English language Paramount release has never been released (except perhaps in the context of being part of the Donovan discography). Interestingly though Donovan has sole credit for the music (i.e. songs) on the posters, there is in fact very hardly any Donovan vocals in the movie. Most of the music is in fact dramatic scoring, though whether Ken Thorne composed separate original material or based his score on the Donovan material, may be solved by another member?

Post subject: Re: BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON by Ken Thorne & Donovan
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:09 pm 

Donovan did release a 'Brother Sun, Sister Moon' album in 2004, but it consisted of new rerecordings with just him singing and playing guitar - no orchestra or choir. Apparently he tried to release the original recordings of his songs, but there were complex rights issues over said recordings that he found too difficult to resolve, so he decided to rerecord all the songs and release them that way (though the end credits version of the title track did show up on his 'Newest Bath Guide' single, albeit in a different mix to what you hear in the film). I don't know if these rights issues would still be a problem today, but if Intrada was able to release this soundtrack with all the original Donovan recordings, I'd certainly buy it.

Post subject: Re: BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON by Ken Thorne & Donovan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46 am 

Yes. I would love to see this soundtrack released. Beautiful music on this one. I think it would sell pretty well not only for the score, but for the many fans of Donovan who would want the original recordings.