[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Stuff I would love to have in my collection some day

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuff I would love to have in my collection some day
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:24 pm 

Take it or leave it but there are several I would love to see and if they are out there(and not for a huge amount of money) feel free to let me know.

The Rescuers
Robin Hood(Disney)
Sword in the Stone(Disney)
Swiss Family Robinson(Disney)
Treasure Island(Disney)
Charlotte's Web(animated version)
Texas across the River
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
Watership Down(animated version, to this day I still recall the song Bright Eyes)
Son of the Morning Star
Some Like it Hot
Young Frankenstein
History of the World Part 1
Anything Marx Bros(I know a longshot, but I gotta put it out there)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

There's others but those are the ones that pop into mind right now

Post subject: Re: Stuff I would love to have in my collection some day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 am 

Many good suggestions. Are you referring to the animated Disney Robin Hood or the live action Disney Robin Hood? The latter is actually my favorite Robin Hood film, a really underrated telling of the tale with Richard Todd and Peter Finch, scored by Clifton Parker who also did Treasure Island. I ask because you listed Treasure Island/Swiss Family Robinson, which are live action Disney films, but you also listed The Sword in the Stone.

Here are the scores you listed which have already been released (though I wouldn't turn down a reissue/expansion of some, such as the lovely Watership Down, which as you can see goes for big bucks on the secondhand market!):

Watership Down: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000061UG/
or: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014I302AM/

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (released by Kritzerland not that long ago but unfortunately OOP; perhaps someone will re-issue):
http://www.amazon.com/Shot-Liberty-Vala ... 00N446QMK/

Some Like It Hot (quite affordable): http://www.amazon.com/Some-Like-Hot-Ori ... 000005Z5Z/

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: http://www.amazon.com/Butch-Cassidy-Sun ... 000023X81/
(If you're interested, Kritzerland released Patrick Williams's score to the Early Years prequel, and MSM released Poledouris's final film score about the same characters.)

Son of the Morning Star (my favorite Safan score, released by Intrada themselves already but sadly long OOP): http://www.amazon.com/Son-Morning-Star- ... 000000O6L/

I would hold off on purchasing a pricey old Son of the Morning Star, because a few months back Doug Fake said on the main forum that Intrada actually had access to the complete score recording of this, and given their track record of championing Safan, I think there's every chance that they may get around to a new two disc version of this sometime in the next couple years.

I think the animated Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone got LP releases but only songs here and there on various CD compilations. Three songs from The Rescuers were included on a CD reissue about 10 years ago of The Rescuers Down Under. While the original film recording of William Alwyn's excellent Swiss Family Robinson absolutely needs release, there was a suite of three cues on a Chandos re-recording: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00118SXRM/
Same goes for Clifton Parker's Treasure Island, although it is thankfully a much longer suite: http://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Clifto ... 0006SGF0A/

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:31 am 

I was referring to the animated version of Robin Hood, may not be Disney's best work, but it holds a special place in my heart.

I had seen the prices for Son and went ewww, that one is out of my price range, good music but not something I can swing unless I have OT on a check. My kids take 1/3 of my money, the car a 1/4 a decent chunk towards rent and whats left I can swing towards adding to my collection, most of which are used thrift store finds.

That Rescuers Down Under soundtrack with the songs from The Rescuers on it I had contemplated getting, but changed my mind on when I saw Intrada had a nice new version of Down Under, I can wait on Rescuers.

As for the other Disney films I have always enjoyed the classic live action and animated films. I was thrilled when I saw 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, that is one of my all time favorites, the music would randomly pop into my head even days(or months) after seeing the film again. Swiss Family, Treasure Island & Sword do the same.

Glad to see some of these are affordable, I might have to sneak over to amazon, and add one or 2 to my cart depending on what my check looks like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:17 am 
Great taste, Moonracer. We could certainly use even more vintage Disney (which we thankfully continue to receive) and John Morris scores, and I agree that Son of the Morning Star should be back in print. I wouldn't be surprised if obtaining the rights for Son of the Morning Star is considerably different today than it was during the score's first release, thus the delay, for lack of a better word.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:25 am 

I very much enjoy my disc collection (soundtracks-classical-pop), the soundtrack stuff I'd still love to have mostly come from the fifties & sixties. There must be a reason why my holdouts haven't appeared yet, lack of interest or lost tapes (we're talking about sixty years for some of these titles). I still hold out slight hopes for, White Feather (Friedhofer '55) & 23 Paces To Baker Street (Harline '56) & The Great Race original tracks (Mancini '65) & Harper (Mandel '66), & a few others, but I don't let that prevent me for enjoying what I have (& it's a ton of stuff!), & let's face it, there'll always be stuff that we want & don't have, I'm sure that's good for the soul.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 pm