Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SANDS OF THE KALAHARI by John Dankworth
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm 

I seemingly missed the news of the composer's death back in 2010. Apart from a 2009 anthology called LET'S SLIP AWAY (of Dankworth's film and TV works) which is now somewhat hard to find, there is just about nothing available by this composer on CD (at least covering this field). While SANDS OF THE KALAHARI from 1965 (starring Stanley Baker, Stuart Whitman and Susannah York) is not a lengthy score, it does represent a mixture of the more popular and serious aspects of this composer. If available from the Paramount music vaults, maybe it could be supplemented with the CD debut of the LP program for NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY by Stanley Myers? (Undoubtedly there would be plenty of other options as well.)

Post subject: Re: SANDS OF THE KALAHARI by John Dankworth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:16 am 

It could also be paired with another Dankworth Paramount "African" score--THE LAST SAFARI.

Post subject: Re: SANDS OF THE KALAHARI by John Dankworth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:17 pm 

That's a fine suggestion. I'd forgotten that THE LAST SAFARI was a Paramount picture. In retrospect though Dankworth thought his contribution on SAFARI was a bit "excessive", and he blamed director Henry Hathaway for encouraging his worst instincts! Leaving aside Paramount, I wouldn't mind a reissue of Dankworth's FATHOM as well as Harkit's CD incarnation didn't use the best possible source. (Yes, I know Harkit is the "devil incarnate" in the view of many members, but their distributor in the U.K. is Universal Music, and I can't imagine they'd market "unlicensed" editions of their own titles.)