Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OUR MAN FLINT + IN LIKE FLINT by Jerry Goldsmith (Expanded?)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm 

Due to lack of space, I also wanted these scores restored and remixed (on the basis of the sonics on the 1997 Varese premiere of the original tracks). The total of the earlier CD was only about 65 minutes (coupling both scores), which meant that a lot of material didn't appear. (Perhaps due to damage of the musical elements?) Anyway with the advances in restorative technology in the last 15 years, there might be the possibilty to yield more music. It's a while since I've seen the movies in question, but there might be a case for a disc to cover each score, plus if the intention is really ambitious, another disc to cover the re-recordings originally releasd on the 20th Century-Fox label (as these were somewhat reworked).

Post subject: Re: OUR MAN FLINT + IN LIKE FLINT by Jerry Goldsmith (Expand
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 pm 
Roger confirmed that Varese controls the original recordings for both scores.

He did state that the album recordings were located and that Intrada will be releasing a CD including both. That was a long time ago, so maybe they will appear soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 pm 

Thanks for that. I guess it will be up to Varese to do a better job with the original tracks.

I wouldn't even mind having a re-mastered CD of the re-recordings. I think the last time the re-recordings were both combined on a single disc was the Silva Screen edition of the late '80's, and that only appeared on LP.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 pm 

It's not a perfect option, but Twilight Time with their Blu-ray film releases has found a way around perpetuity album rights by containing isolated score tracks as bonus features. They have released both Flint scores on Blu-ray with the complete Goldsmith scores included on a separate track. It's expensive and not the same as a CD album with nice liner notes, but at least the complete scores survive and are out there in some legal form. The same thing is the case with The Other -- around 40 minutes of Goldsmith, including much that wasn't used in the movie. Varese owns the rights to that score in perpetuity even though they just released it as a single track 22 minute suite as filler for their Mephisto Waltz release. Here's hoping Varese gets around to complete Deluxe editions for a lot of the material they hold in perpetuity...

Yavar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:15 am 

I bought the In Like Flint Blu-ray. I've always liked it, it really is loony & I think much better than the first one (& the picture really looks great). The isolated music track (prepared by Mike Matessino) is all in stereo & sounds great...well one cue is in a bad way, there's a lot of wow & other problems (but I'm glad they included it as it's a great cue). It's good the hear the groovy intro in stereo, I made a CD of it (phono to minidisc recorder, edit minidisc & optical into CD recorder), there's about 55 minutes of it. I'm sure Varese will release both scores as a Club release. I do prefer the LP's & I'm sure we'll see them released this year. Just think, by the end of the year we could have the lot released on CD :D