[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - When A Stranger Calls Back - Dana Kaproff (1993)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When A Stranger Calls Back - Dana Kaproff (1993)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 am 

Now that I've heard the original film's OST, I cranked up the volume on WASCB and noticed that it's yet another that really deserves a release. There really is great stuff in there.

Post subject: Re: When A Stranger Calls Back - Dana Kaproff (1993)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:48 am 

Hell yes! Sign me up right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:03 am 
I didn't even know this movie existed. I trust that the strangers stopped calling Dana Kaproff after this one?

I'll try to catch this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:55 am 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

The second one has a familiar feel in that the first and last 20 minutes are the most suspenseful, while the middle is less interesting. The difference, to me, is that in the sequel, the middle part may not be thrill ride, but it remains intriguing enough to keep watching. In the original, though it had the same first/last 20 minutes intense, middle boring "formula", the middle part wasn't nearly as intriguing. In fact, many complain that it's downright boring. Nonetheless, I'd rather watch either of those over the remake any day.

No, the strangers didn't call Dana Kaproff after the sequel :lol:

Just some brief info I thought I'd gather -

When a Stranger Calls (1979) - Directed by Fred Walton, written by Fred Walton and Steve Feke; music by Dana Kaproff

When a Stranger Calls Back - Directed and written by Fred Walton; music by Dana Kaproff

When a Stranger Calls (2006) - Directed by Simon West (who?), written by Jake Wade Wall (who?), music by Jim Dooley (who?) < yeah, I was on the verge of sleep in the theater :(

As for Look What Happened to Rosemary's Baby, I've never seen that one; only heard. Besides the score, was the film any good?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:36 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:31 pm 

Thanks indeed, Bruce :D

Hey, if he can manage to get the score to the original, I can't imagine him not being able to get the sequel's score. I never would've thought someone could get the original's. That is, of course I knew it was possible, I just didn't think it'd be any time soon.

While I'm in ramble mode, I thought I'd revisit my thoughts on the score to the original. Hopefully Intrada won't mind if a do a brief review:

When I first listened to the samples, I was a bit skeptical that it would sound good. Still, I preordered it in an instant. It's been a dream of mine to have that one for ages now, but I digress ;)
When I listened to the CD, I thought "Uh oh... there's a significant amount of hiss here." ... however, that was just the main track, not to mention the fact that if you love film scores enough to crank up your system 'til your house is rattling, of course you'll hear hiss.
This other tracks are surprisingly clean. I can't tell you how many times I've played this score at mega volume since its release. It's very impressive, and, on a 5.1 system... let's just say that the bass is jaw-dropping and you also notice nice little "extras" that they apparently decided to remove for the final cut of the film.
Definitely worth it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 pm 

I will have to revisit the movies again soon.

As for Dana Kaproff... I also really have to thank Intrada for releasing the wonderful score to THE GOLDEN SEAL by Dana Kaproff/John Barry. Hopefully they will have another release by this fine composer sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:36 pm 

Golden Seal is a lovely score. The combo of John Barry and Dana Kaproff was rewarding. Lush and beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm 

Bruce is going to kill me for this, if he's already working on WASCB, but I must admit that I noticed a rather important factor when it comes to releasing an OST...

See, I used an audio application to essentially remove as much of the vocals/effects as possible, leaving mostly just the score. When listening to the soundtrack I noticed that, despite what's there being great, there really isn't a whole lot of score :oops:

A great deal of music is just reused very frequently throughout the film. As for variety between tracks, there's just not anywhere near enough material to justify the time, money and effort. I'd be amazed if it even reached a 30 minute mark.

I enjoy the film a great deal, which is why I didn't really notice this crucial factor until I examined the whole soundtrack.

Does anyone else hear the same or am I nuts?