[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The Neverending Story

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Neverending Story
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:18 am 

The Neverending Story is another great work of Giorgio Moroder. After Cat People, I'd rate it as his second best sounding soundtrack. Obviously, this soundtrack too, is not immune from the usual Moroder tactic of reworking his tracks. A great majority of the music on the soundtrack when it was released, is NOT the actual music that plays during the film. I admire the film, and have always loved the music. I decided to purchase the soundtrack particularly for the song "Ivory Tower". The music accompanying the arrival at the Ivory Tower always enchanted me when I was a young kid. The music is so uplifting and emotional. However, the Ivory Tower song heard on the soundtrack, is not the stirring orchestration from the film, it is a trumped up synthesizer-ridden dance-mix version of the original Ivory Tower song which pales in comparison to the original. Why these songs were redone for the soundtrack is beyond me, but prepare to be disappointed if you are looking to hear the score as it is in the actual film. To be honest, its a tragedy of the highest order that we don't get to hear the true movie version of the Ivory Tower.

The proper re-release of the complete, movie version, soundtrack is in high demand and intrada shouldn't think twice about this.

Post subject: Re: The Neverending Story
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:40 am 

The soundtrack needs to be done with care...

-All of Doldinger's contributions, some of which wasn't in the US version of the film (but was on the the German release of the CD)
-All of Moroder's music, both film and album versions
-The song

I dunno how much it'd all take up, 90 minutes maybe? I'm sure too much for a single CD, but...yeah.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 am 

Since we already have Moroder's and Doldinger's music on 2 albums, this would be a simple reissue maybe with some little variations offered. Not much for my taste. I'm quite pleased with the albums.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:46 am 

Yeah but Doldinger's music overlaps on both albums. Plus as has been said, there's some great Moroder music that was completely different on the album (though I for one DO love the 'disco mix' of Ivory Tower)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm 

Yeah the pieces that giorgio moroder composed in the movie is very emotional...(swamp of sadness with the horse)
He composed the fabulous theme neverending story too, performed by limahl
He's the man of electronic music,sound effect.A very special atmosphere.
Mr Moroder's a big MAN . :wink:

Brad Fiedel FRIGHT NIGHT II 1988 Vista Organization/Columbia
Sylvester Levay COBRA 1986 MGM/Cannon
Gary Chang 52 PICK-UP 1986 MGM/Cannon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:57 pm 

I agree! This is one movie score from my childhood that I want to see get a complete or expanded form. The "Ivory Tower" music will always be among my favorite cues from the movie.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:12 am 

Anakin McFly, I respect your opinion but I definately disagree. Not only was it not complete, the actual music heard in the movie remains unreleased to this day. When a soundtrack of a movie gets released, we expect it to always have the exact music used in the movie. With "The Neverending Story", we don't get that. The majority of the tracks are not the same but have been reworked. They have vastly different rhythms to the original sound. This is not fair for the fans of the movie. I want the music I heard during the movie. Take for example the "Ivory Tower". There are huge differences to the sound used in the movie and later released on the soundtrack. The movie version is so uplifting and enchanting. The same can't be said of the soundtrack version.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 am 

I don't deny we're missing bits of this and that. But I don't think that another soundtrack is required, and I'm a huge fan of this movie ! I like Klaus Doldinger's album better by the way, it feels more like a powerful symphony...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:14 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:29 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:38 am 

Ahhh, that explains why you don't want another release. I had a gut feeling you were going to bring up Doldinger. Now, I don't won't to argue with you as to which composer was better then the other. That really depends on tastes. Much of Klaus Doldinger's material has been released. There's a whole CD available in Germany that has just about all the music composed by Doldinger, which obviously statisfies his fans. Unfortunately, Morodor doesn't have a CD or released a CD featuring all his music composed for the movie. Another factor that comes into play is wether you saw the german version or the U.S. version. Most people who saw the german version, naturally side with Doldinger, since there was no music composed by Morodor added to that version. Likewise, I got used to the U.S. version and liked what I heard. There are a few tracks I actually enjoyed that were composed by Doldinger, but the real treat, as I mentioned before is "Ivory Tower", and a few other tracks composed by Morordor.

Also, you cannot simply say that we were missing bits and pieces of the official release of the soundtrack. Agains, tracks were redone, reworked in a different manner, using different instruments. This is a major problem and shouldn't be taken lightly I'm sure if Doldinger was in Morodor's shoes, you wouldn't be taking this thing lying down. Its imperative that the tracks featured in the movie version be released.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:54 am 

orbital, I think your being to critical for no apparent reason. So if I, or others request a track that was used in the movie, be released, you think that's been childish. Why on earth would Morodor be against releasing the proper version of the movie. Now days, you have many composers releasing what they call alternate scores from the films they composed for. Example, John Williams has no less then 3 different versions for some tracks of his superman soundtrack. I can think of many others.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 am 

I have always seen the US version only, it's the one I grew up with, but it's interesting that you say the german version contains the complete Doldinger score, because I like what's on his album and rejected from the movie. And one of these rejected cues was even in The Goonies trailer one year after and even influenced Dave Grusin for his own score (temptrack ?). Do you know if the german theatrical release with all the Doldinger's music would be available on DVD or Blu-Ray on amazon.de for example ?

I'm not against a Georgio Moroder album with all the music he composed for the picture and the album. But I'm not sure it can stand on its own without Doldinger's music. There are only 4 tracks from Moroder and 1 song. Add the small pieces missing from the picture, and I'm not sure you can make a great album out of this.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 am 

The fact is simple:

-There is unreleased Morodor music film versions
-To get all the released music one needs two CDs with some redundancies

Having a definitive release with everything resolves both of these issues with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 am 

I'm suprised you say that you grew up with the U.S. version and yet you believe that the Doldinger music is more worthy then Morodor's. You wouldnt find to many people who can claim this watching the U.S. version, althrough, I don't deny there could be others like you. Like I said, ultimately, it depends on taste. In regards, the complete Doldinger score being used in the German version - It seems you are not paying attention to my posts. No where do I say that Doldinger's complete music was used in the German version. What I said was, most of Doldinger's material that has been released is available on a separate CD in Germany. Also, I didn't say that I was an expert on Doldinger's score, but only have general knowledge on the man. I do have both soundtracks of the movie and listened to them more then a few times. There is something you don't seem to be comprehending and that is, the "Ivory Tower" used in the soundtrack version should be considered as an alternate version. It should not have been released before the movie version, which is the correct version. Anything other then the movie version should be refered to as alternate and thereby, worthy as a secondary choice. Unusual as it sounds, this practice seems to be quite common with Giorgio Moroder soundtrack releases. He has done this to other movie soundtracks he has released before. Cat People is a prime example. If the copyright owners find it hard to release a 2 disc expanded edition, then at the very least, why don't they settle on a Single CD label for Morodor only, containing the complete score. This will equate to what Doldinger has done with his score and I'm definately sure it will stand out on it's own.

We are looking at 5 tracks used in the original release to be re-issued, plus the three Movie versions of "Ivory Tower" & "Ivory Tower" (Reprise) and "Swamps of Sadness", add the Extended versions of "The Neverending Story" and "Ivory Tower" plus add any other alternate music lying round.

The final complilation would look something like this.

The NeverEnding Story (1984)

Complete Soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder

Tracklisting

1. Never Ending Story (Edit Version) (Original Release)

2. Swamps of Sadness (Original Release)

3. Ivory Tower (Edit Version) (Original Release)

4. Ruined Landscape (Original Release)

5. Sleepy Dragon (Original Release)

6. The NeverEnding Story (Extended Mix)

7. Ivory Tower (Movie Version) (Unreleased)

8. Ivory Tower - Reprise (Movie Version) (Unreleased)

9. Swamps of Sadness (Movie Version) (Unreleased)

10. Ivory Tower (Extended Version) (Original Release)

If any other alternate versions exist, they can simply add them on after that.

Last edited by John1 on Sun May 20, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.