[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Television Series and Video Games

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Television Series and Video Games
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 pm 

As the title would suggest, this thread doesn't centre on any specific release, but rather (I hope) will open the floor for discussion on forms of media other than films that are regularly underscored with music, the two most prominent being the eponymous two art forms.

Now obviously the focus on movie scores from the big score-centric labels makes sense. Movies usually hit the 90 minute to 2 hour mark, and even if the film in question includes almost wall-to-wall scoring, that still means a snug fit on one or two CDs with room for bonuses. It makes perfect business sense to focus on movie scores, since they're easily packaged and often make an easy sell to their regular customers.

However, while this focus on movies is understandable and is certainly no bad thing, I can't help but feel TV shows and most definitely video games are neglected as a result. These words will no doubt ring hollow with the regular releases of high profile TV scores like Sherlock, Doctor Who and Thunderbirds by Silva Screen and in the immediate wake of Once Upon A Time, but these are exceptions rather than the rule. Intrada may be the go-to label to see older, more obscure titles released, but Silva Screen are only sort of an equivalent for TV series and there is no equivalent for video games whatsoever.

Don't think I'm pointing a finger at any labels and demanding they completely change their business models to fill this gap, that would be a ridiculous ask, rather I'm wondering whether anyone but me is noticing this gap and would like to see it at least partially filled. While there are still stupid, brainless scores for video games (*cough*Gears of War series*cough*), and cheap, quickly composed by no-name nobodies scores for TV, they aren't all like that, as some people I've encountered seem to believe. Perhaps the fact that video games rarely have the strong themes and thematic development films have due to their rather piecemeal nature, perhaps it's that there's so many television shows on in a day that it's near impossible for one to make a strong enough impression to build sufficient popularity to get a release, but that doesn't automatically mean they're bad or warrant no attention. Take, say, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent video game whose widely varied electronic score was no doubt only released months later due to massive demand from those who enjoyed it both in context and from the abbreviated taster CD that came with the collector's editions. Going further back, take Curse of Monkey Island, another rich score, this one full of Carribean flavour and atmosphere. However, it came out in the late 90s, too late to appeal to the retro game crowd who search out rare and expensive releases of NES-era chiptunes, and too early to be in an era where a soundtrack CD for a game is relatively commonplace in comparison to earlier eras. Were either of these scores a movie, I think there'd be quite a good chance they'd be picked up by a label for some sort of release (Curse probably in quite limited quantities, but still a release), in Deus Ex's case a far more expansive 2-CD album given the massive popularity of the score in context and the size of demand. However, one was never released outside of rips from the game files, and the other given a much shorter release than it deserved.

I must reiterate the point of this post is not immediate action to drop successful business models. Both TV shows and video games have a far greater quantity of music by design, and in the case of video games the varying recording methods and sound engines from game to game make the idea of remastering for CD a logistical nightmare. Rather, my point is to raise the issue that just because a score is created for a different art form does not mean it should be ignored or considered inferior. I won't name names or places, but I have seen first hand some rather disheartening... well, let's call it what it is, 'snobbery', in the soundtrack community that because a score was created for an art form other than films or media aimed at children or likewise it is somehow inferior. I don't want to start any arguments here, so I don't want to go into that further, but instead say that the fact that this kind of attitude exists at all is perhaps a sign that labels should at least consider these avenues. Again, that's not to say these art forms aren't represented, with IT, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, the various Star Trek series, the Halo scores by Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori (the ones in the series not composed by them are of considerably lesser quality, IMHO), and yes, despite being less that it could have been, Deus Ex: Human Revolution all standing out as shining examples of things that are happening, but should happen more often.

I hope I've at least stimulated some amount of thought during this rambling wall of text. This is where I open the floor to you. Are there any TV or video game score you feel should be released, or scores for any other crazy kind of media form (hell, with Battlefield Earth at least even BOOKS can have scores, so really anything goes)? Why do you think that?

Over to you, guys.

Flight of the Navigator (Silvestri)
Digimon: The Movie (Harpaz, Plessner, Levy)
The Crystal Maze (Lawrence)
Blackadder: Back and Forth (Goodall)
Dune (Toto)

Post subject: Re: Television Series and Video Games
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:41 pm 
There are many television scores that I want to see released in comprehensive form, but the TV scores that I feel most strongly about include:

Night Gallery
Columbo
Kolchak
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1980s series)
The A-Team (original recordings)
Miami Vice
Quantum Leap (more comprehensive than what we currently have)
The Six Million Dollar Man

La-La Land is doing a tremendous job with The X-Files, FSM did perfect justice to Silvestri's scores for CHiPS, and of course Intrada did good work with Amazing Stories and currently the original Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:18 pm 
I forgot to mention Tales from the Crypt. That's a big one.

As for the bigger discussion, I would think that TV scores will become a larger focus as the pool of highly demanded film scores continues to drain considerably. Intrada certainly has a lot to work with when it comes to the Universal TV scores.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 pm 

Yes, and the 1987 cartoon score from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:12 pm 

We have a long one going to TV series:

viewtopic.php?t=2069

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 am 

Dune (Toto)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 am 

Of course a lot of video game music IS released, just most of it is either
-Only released in Japan (even some non-Japanese games)
-Only released digitally (a lot of EA games especially)'
-Only released as a pack in with the 'deluxe/collector's edition/etc' version of the game

And incidentally, for those who don't remember, Intrada DID release two game scores in the 90s -- Heart of Darkness and The Last Express.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm 

Dune (Toto)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 am 

AAA game titles almost aways get score releases, and LLL is slowly becoming the go-to label for these. See Crysis 2, Uncharted 3, and SOCOM 4.

EA is tremendous in this regard, they've been on board for many years. I think they have an actual agreement that there must be score releases for certain games.

Collector's Editions of games also usually come with them, and not "truncated freebie" as you describe. Infamous 2 got two separate releases, one exclusive to the CE, and one available on iTunes. Both containing different music, so that was awesome.

thatgamecompany's recent hit Journey is getting a CD release soon and is already available for download. It all really depends on the fan base, and unfortunately in your case you're a fan of a lot of older obscure stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:45 pm 

Dune (Toto)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:03 am 

I will most definitely chime in and say that there are a number of video game scores I'd love to see released. I'm more into the retro games, mainly NES, SNES, and the Genesis. There are countless that would be great to hear in crisp display. NES: Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, all Mega Mans, Bad Dudes, Metroid, etc. SNES: Cybernator, Super Metroid, Gradius III, Star Fox, Super Turrican, all Zeldas, and the list goes on. Some of these have been released on CD, and typically, the quality is poor and they are extremely hard to find and go for outrageous prices on ebay, even more so than movie scores. Of course, I'd want the music straight from the game, not this remix business. Anything Intrada could or would do would be awesome. :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:06 pm 

Dune (Toto)