[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - When A Stranger Calls (1979) ...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When A Stranger Calls (1979) ...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:55 pm 

Call me crazy, but I'm a bit ticked that nobody has ever released this soundtrack. It's one of my favorites. I'd die to hear it isolated.
What's sad is that I sent a message to Dana Kaproff and he told me that even he doesn't have a copy, but wished he did. This scares me. How is it that a composer doesn't have access to an isolated copy of his own work?! :shock:
Anyway, that's my suggestion. I'd be blown away if you manage to get it done :D

EDIT - Hm... I even scoured the 'net and all I could find were tracks taken from the film "as is". That's no good. The point is for the score to be isolated, not having the vocals, sound effects, etc. heard as well :roll:

Post subject: Re: When A Stranger Calls (1979) ...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:12 pm 

A release of both this and it's sequel (also directed by Fred Walton and scored by Dana Kaproff) would be awesome. Two truly great suspense scores by the under-rated Dana Kaproff. Thanks for starting this thread. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:19 pm 

You see! This is EXACTLY what I am saying. I posted a few weeks ago, a multitude of scores that should be released, and BOTH the WASC scores were on there. They are both fantastic scores, and especially the first one, I can see Intrada releasing, as they have released Kaproff before!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:41 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm 

Just watched it again. I know it's already been said, but by watching it again I feel compelled to state again that this really must be released.
Please Intrada, I beg of you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:02 am 

One of the creepiest main titles for any horror film (following Carol Kane on her long, spooky walk through a neighborhood to the babysitting house), which perfectly sets up the opening twenty minute sequence with a minimum of orchestration. Arguably Kaproff's best score.

It'd be nice to see this one on CD (and a Twilight Time Blu-Ray) someday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 am 

Have to chime in here again ( because I love and agree with you about that main title!)

Other moments of musical genius that I love are stagnant shots of the house, the music that just keeps the audience connected to the off kilter atmosphere, and the bombastic cue when the door upstairs opens, and the shadow appears on the wall - Oooh! I am getting chills just thinking about it!

Of course, I love the THX cue when Colleen Dewhurst crosses the street - Always has made me think the phrase "Night Stalks the City." Hmm. If this IS released, can that be the cue title? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 pm 

I forgot to mention that -- as a young kid -- I also taped the opening title (and several suspense cues) in the film from the speaker of my television on to a cassette. That's how much I liked it.

But I was also a horror fanatic who loved scary film music.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 pm 

They were indeed.

Glad that I wasn't the only one who used to make "soundtracks" as a little kid with a tape player held up to the TV set and the record button. Admittedly, the sound wasn't too great. But when you're eleven, you don't care much. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 am 

I contacted Roger (admin) to let him know some details of my interaction with Dana. The good news is that (to my surprise) Intrada has a good relationship with Sony when it comes to score rights. The sad news is that WASC isn't on Roger's list of scores to consider at the moment. Though, he did say he'll keep it in mind for a possible eventual release.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49 pm 

Well Hooray for that! :D

On other matters, I would suspect that the small niche/kitsch of Intrada to release horror movie scores, such as WASC, and Stepford Wives (Michael Small, another composer of which they are grand with.)