[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - I have a MONEY making idea for INTRADA...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Would you buy a 'behind-the-scenes' DVD?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: I have a MONEY making idea for INTRADA...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 am 

It's a really simple idea... that could make a few extra $$$

Your working with all these great people...producing great soundtracks...some of which have never been released before. Why not capitalise on this and make fly-on-the-wall documentaries when working on big titles? I know your releases have decent liner notes and artwork etc....but I for one would love to watch what goes on behind the scenes. The trials and tribulations, the challenges, the equipment used, the up's and down's. Interviews and opinions of people working on the project. Hell...I'd even love to see what the original analog tapes look like. YES I AM A GEEK!!!

If I were you....I'd start making video diaries of all the major projects your working on....with the view of releasing a DVD at the end of the year. I'd happily pay $20 for a couple of hours of behind the scenes footage. Im sure others would too. Lets put it to a vote 8)

Feel free to shoot this idea down in flames. I won't be offended....it won't stop me from sharing other ideas!

Cheers, Jago

eBay >> http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/digitalscreams

Post subject: Re: I have a MONEY making idea for INTRADA...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 am 

I would gladly pay 20$ to have a peek behind the Intrada curtains.

To see the hard work the people behind the Intrada logo goes thru to put their CD's into the final product.

There's a million questions that I would like to ask the staff that would be awsome to see in a behind the scenes style.

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 am 
I would buy it.

Most interesting to me would be to get a peek at Doug's mastering facility and an understanding of his general practices in making the source elements sound as good as possible. Seeing the stressors that Roger must go through in the area of acquisition would really be fascinating.

Some random, yet somehow insightful ruminations from Jeff "Bose Guy" Johnson would be nice as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 am 

I would love to see that as well. I've also always said that I wished composers would release DVD's for each of their scores that takes you from spotting sessions and inception on the piano/keyboard all the way up to the scoring stage. I would kill to see a ton of footage from the scoring stage. Not just 20 minutes worth in a DVD special feature. The process fascinates me almost more than the actual music.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 am 

I love this type of stuff, and I would buy it in a heartbeat! I watch the FSM one all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:20 am 

Hum, I can imagine how it would go...

Day 1:
Roger: "Hey, I got an idea, let's release __________."

Day 2:
Doug: "Hey, you know that score you wanted to release?"
Roger: "Yeah?"
Doug: "Soundtrackcollector dot com says Varese owns it."
Roger: "Fudge."

Day 3:
Roger: "Hey, I got another idea!"
Doug: "Great, I'll call the studio!"

Day 25:
Roger: "So, what's happening with the score?"
Doug: "Nobody knows who owns the rights."
Roger: "Fudge. Keep looking."

Day 33:
Score Nerd passes through town, takes photos of Intrada building complex.

Day 56:
Doug: "Roger!"
Roger: "Doug!"
Doug: "Great news!"
"Roger: "We got the rights?"
Doug: "Bingo!"

Day 69:
Somebody complains the cover to the newest release isn't avaiable in 600x600

Day 74:
Doug: "Okay, Paramount says we're allowed into the vaults with two armed security guards for two hours tops to find the masters."
Roger: "Sweet."

Day 89:
Music Department Guy: "Sorry, we tossed those masters into a landfill over two decades ago, along with "Lawrence of Arabia", to make room for more important things like "There's Something About Mary" and Tyler Bates' score to "300"."
MDG: "No, it's a Twinkie -- I got another if you're hungry," takes a bite.

Day 101:
Doug: "Okay, the Loren Alan Davis Estate says they kept the duplicate master tapes."
Roger: "Great!"
Doug: "In mono."
Doug: "But Liberalcraptrap University says master tapes in stereo were donated to the Music Department."
Doug: "The studio won't allow us to use the streo tapes."
Roger: "Fudg'it."

Day 126:
Doug: "Okay, we've mastered the tapes, designed the art work, gotten the musician credits, hired you know who to write the linear notes, and the studio is in a good mood today and will let us use photos from the film with no hassle."
Doug: "But the epic, climaxtic ten minute tour-de-force finale cue is missing."
Roger: "Fudging fudger fudg-a-majig!"
Doug: "But it's okay, the fans are all right with it."
Roger: "Great! Wait, how the frak do they know about it?"
Doug: "Somebody did an interview and mentioned it."
Roger: "Fudge packing sons'a -- anything else?!"
Doug: "Our conceptual artists leaked his idea art with the tracklisting. Oh, and our last release had three typos in the booklet, which is also missing a page."
Roger: !!!!!

Day 184:
Doug: "Okay, everything seems okay."
Roger: "Good, I call the pressing plant..."

Day 185:
Doug: "Roger?"
Roger: "Doug?"
Doug: "Ahhh ... studio says they were wrong, and it's the mono tapes we're not allowed to use, we'll have to start over from scratch with the stereo ones."
Roger: !!!!!

Day 191:
Roger: "Okay, we got the stereo tapes from the university."
Doug: "Great."
Roger: "Now what?"
Doug: "Just awaiting approval from the legal department."

TWO YEARS LATER:
Roger: "Any word on that legal mumbo jumbo?"
Doug: "Yeah, they say there are some small issues to work out."
Roger: "Okay."

TWO MORE YEARS LATER:
Doug: "Hey, remember that Loren Alan Davis score were trying to release?"
Roger: "I vaguely recall wasting some years of my life on it, yes."
Doug: "All's clear."
Roger: "By Crom!!!!!"

YEAR SIX:
Doug: "Turns out Loren Alan Davis faked his death and is avaiable to sign the CD's, which we've already shrink-wrapped."
Roger: "Tough monkey nuts. And I don't think anybody noticed!"

Day 1 of the New Release:
Roger: "How's it going?"
Doug: "Been up for one hour so far."
Roger: "And?"
Doug: "We've fixed two typos in the announcement, and broken sound clip links."
Roger: "I blame you, you know."
Doug: "Why the hell?"
Roger: "You're closer."

ONE HOUR LATER:
Doug: "Okay, two hours and it's sold out.
Roger: "What are they saying?"
Doug: "Ahhh ... 'thanks, saves me a few bucks'."
Roger: "Butt munch. What else?"
Doug: "'Great, I love it, but where's REVENGE OF THE NINJA?'."
Roger: "Order those masters burned immediately if found."
Doug: "Yes, sir."
Roger: "What else?"
Doug: "Thor says it's longer than thirty minutes, yadda, yadda, yadda."
Roger: "Yeah, I don't give a flying monkey dookie either. Give me some more."
Doug: "As you wish. So-and-so says he bought 'two'."
Roger: "There's one poor fan who missed out on it. What else?"
Doug: "hainshisway is bitching we announced it in the same day as his new release."
Roger: "Ah, great, so our plan worked. What did he release?"
Doug: "Nudie Musical 2."

TWO WEEKS LATER:
Doug: "A couple dozen people are reporting their CD's arrive."
Roger: "What do they think?"
Doug: "Ten typos, a producer's name spelled incorrectly, the art work sucks, why isn't it in 600x600, everybody wants to know where the epic finale cue is, and--"
Roger: "And the FUDGE WHAT ELSE???!!!"
Doug: "All discs are reported with glitches -- we have to re-press....."

One Day Later:
Roger's funeral.
A fan buys two seats to it.

TWO WEEKS LATER:
Newest Intrada Records release.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:03 pm 

Hahaha! great description tharpdevenport! That is exactly how it would look/sound. I work in the licensing business and that is how it goes down. Not glamorus at all (well maybe 10% glamour here and there). It is a peoples business, you need to know people, earn their trust. mailing, calling, negotiating, meeting, confirming etcetc. lots of details.

And a lot of those people do not want to be in front of a camera, they do not want to be in the spotlight. Make a good and decent deal, make no mistakes that blow up in your face (especially in the very small soundtrack business you need friends and dedicated people), get a nice credit and move on to the next one. Well maybe some would give a statement here and there...

Totally different are the artists, the so called "talent". Or relatives of "the talent". You can almost always win them over. But still, it takes time and it costs extra coin. You need to prepare the questions, location, light, sound, camera. Then you have to edit your 5 hours of footage down to 40 minutes or so. You need an animated logo and and and.

The idea of having "making ofs" is a good one, but not so easy to do as one might think. I really liked the extra DVD on THE GETAWAY - The unused Score by Jerry Fielding. FSM released that one. Simple, interesting and even funny at times. Fieldings Widow and Peckinpahs Assistant tell stories from the time the two masters worked together.

Something like that would be nice to have on a INTRADA release from time to time. Or if the composer is still alive then of course a Q&a with him and maybe the director (wouldn't it be great if someone would have done a interview with Joe Dante and Jerry Goldsmith sitting together. Or many other director/composer combos.

Phil

Holy Grails: PSYIII/ESC TO ATHENA/M'RAKER/WILD GEESE II/NIGHTGEN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm 
The apparent difficulties that pervade licensing and other aspects of this business makes me really appreciate the volume of scores that both Intrada and La-La Land have been releasing. You have to wonder when they are going to hit the proverbial brick wall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm 

I was actually thinking about getting a look at how the music gets CLEARED for release and not thinking so much about the technical aspects of mastering the music when I first read this question.

If the stuff that goes on is anything like thardevenport's description, then forget the DVD! I think it would make a fantastic mini-series!!

There's nothing better than watching intelligent professionals killing themselves for something they love. :mrgreen: