[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Unreleased Star Trek TOS scores

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unreleased Star Trek TOS scores
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:30 pm 

Hoping again not to annoy anyone, there are multiple unreleased scores from the original Star Trek series.
Not sure the situation with that music, but I did notice that the 30th Anniversary compilations included multiple tracks and suites from the original series, which indicates to me that there may be some material still out there.

Not sure of the stickiness of the rights issues - that may be formidable.

But the following scores have not been released in their original form, to my knowledge:

"The Man Trap"
"Charlie X"
"The Enemy Within"
"Mudd's Women"
"The Conscience of the King"
"Catspaw"
"Friday's Child"
"Who Mourns for Adonais?"
"I, Mudd"
"Metamorphosis"
"By Any Other Name"
"Spock's Brain"
"Elaan of Troyus"
"The Enterprise Incident"
"And the Children Shall Lead"
"Is There in Truth No Beauty?"
"The Empath"
"Plato's Stepchildren"
"Spectre of the Gun"

And there are mulltiple cues still out there from some of the scores that have been released - including one major choral cue from "The Cage" and the fight cue from "Where No Man Has Gone Before"...

I realize this is probably an "asked and answered" request, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try...

Post subject: Re: Unreleased Star Trek TOS scores
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 pm 

I would buy this :-) I like the music from TOS...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 pm 

There was a thread at FSM a year or two ago, where it wasn't directly said, but appearently somebody, one person (maybe Neil Norman?) was holding things up.

I recall probably six or so years ago the Thaxtonite said new masters for one episode released, I think "Amok Time", since then had been found with better sound. Those results I'd like to hear.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 pm 

YES! 8)

I'd love to hear some more episode scores, especially with improved sound, and done by a label like Intrada.

Anything from: TOS, TAS, THE MOVIES, would be an instant purchase for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:05 am 

Someone needs to wrangle the rights from GNP and then produce a complete series of discs containing ST:TOS scores. I wonder why GNP is so uncooperative?

If LLL does it, they should do a box set either by season of the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 am 

GNP only holds the rights to the episode scores they released (last I heard, you have to purchase the rights for chunks of minutes of music), and even then there's been no word on if they've gotten the rights to those TOS scores in perpetuity.

I suspect it might have something to do with the Roddenberry estate.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am 

I missed one.

"The Paradise Syndrome", which has only been put out as a re-recording.

There are also the eps where only a handful of cues were released on the "Best of Trek Vol 2" CD:
"The Corbomite Manuever"
"Balance of Terror"
"What Are Little Girls Made Of?"

And there are other bits here and there:
"Mirror, Mirror" - which includes some reworked cues from "Balance of Terror" and a rework of the fight cue from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" along with some new cues.
"The City on the Edge of Forever" - which includes a very small amount of new material

I remember reading that during the recording sessions, they would do multiple versions of some cues to make them more amenable to being used in other episodes (like going a little longer or a little shorter, etc)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm 

Let me ask this. Without naming any names or doing anything untoward, can you say if you think there's any chance of this music seeing the light of day?

I had long thought that 48 HRS would never see a release due to performance rights etc., but we finally got it last year. I continue to hope for these tracks...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:47 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm 

I was thinking the royalties thing about the theme and Gene vs. Courage. So, ruling that out, and that Paramount vaults are open to us, and that GNP doesn't hold the rights to all scores ... maybe NBC has some kind of rights issue, or image rights issue. Just guessing here. Or one of those other two productions companies, Desilu Productions Norway Corporation (who the heck?) are holding it up.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:03 am 

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:16 am 

I believe the book, The Music of Star Trek, covers all the TOS scores and what was what.

THE PRISONER