Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sphere - Elliot Goldenthal
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 am 

This is a vastly underrated score, even by fans of the composer, it seems. And it is possibly my favorite of his. Sure it steals a lot of his own elements from namely "Alien 3", but I think he has much better use of them here, with much lovelier themes and motifs on top of it. The Varese release is a horrible representation of the score, being out of order and hardly presenting much of it at all. Perhaps this is why there is fairly negative criticism, because if you actually watch the film and listen for the music, there is a lot of gold to be found. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but this is a 90s score that really deserves some expansion from one of the more unique composers out there. We all know his "Batman Forever" will be getting a release from LaLaLand sometime next year, but perhaps Intrada should tackle this one? Either way, it really should be done. :D

Post subject: Re: Sphere - Elliot Goldenthal
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
I agree I love Goldenthal's score to Sphere. But I think Varese still holds the rights. Maybe one day a dx ed. I wouldn't hurt to make a suggestion to Varese via facebook.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:57 am 

I'd love to get an Intrada produced Goldenthal release. Sphere seems like the obvious choice, although, given possible rights complications, anything would do. He's certainly a composer that warrants more special/expanded editions than there are currently available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 am 

Goldenthal brings such a sharp, powerful sound to SF that really enriches the sf world we`re expected to enter. In ALIEN 3 his sound was almost oppressiveand it took awhile for me to settle in to how strong a hand he was allowed to take in the drama. [And all the problems involved only make his work there more remarkable.] FINAL FANTASY is another overlooked, prominent score demonstrating his unique musical voice--I can`t imagine anyone else writing a cue like `Race to Old New York` for such a scene. SPHERE is such a slight album considering how much he wrote, as I understand it, so I can`t really judge. I enjoy the cd but it ends when it feels like there is a lot more to come.