Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHEYENNE AUTUMN by Alex North (Expanded Edition?)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 pm 

They say Nature abhors a vacuum, so it's a thrill that material from the Warners vaults (now that FSM is about to abandon the release of further titles) will be getting the Intrada treatment.

Whatever the source of John Lasher's CD release on Label X in the late '80's, at just 49 minutes it still left out quite a lot of North's majestic score.

As to the Audiophile LP released in 1983, it's always been a mystery as to exactly what this constituted. John Lasher always insisted this was not compiled from the original film tracks, but others have insisted that it was.

I'm intrigued by the recording session information for the LP, as the credited Federico Savina (maybe related to conductor Carlos Savina?) was the recording engineer at International Recorders in Rome, which was the venue for many film recordings, including Bernstein's WHERE'S JACK? and Goldsmith's FREUD.

However if I understand correctly, at the time the musicians' union stipulated that if a film was shot entirely in the U.S., then the music for the soundtrack had to be recorded in the U.S.

So, if CHEYENNE AUTUMN was shot entirely in the U.S. (as I suspect was the case), is it possible an album was recorded in Rome in order to escape the re-use fees, but never released at the time?

Post subject: Re: CHEYENNE AUTUMN by Alex North (Expanded Edition?)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 pm 

Thank you so much Intrada, even if one had to wait 5 years. The wait was undoubtedly worth it! Maybe the question which has intrigued me for ages will be answered, i.e. whether the LP which Southern Cross released in 1983, was a re-recorded suite of highlights recorded in Europe!