[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The official post for GREAT UNRELEASED HORROR SCORES!!!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The official post for GREAT UNRELEASED HORROR SCORES!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:17 am 

I'm a huge fan of horror scores - especially those that extensively use melody and thematics in addition to your usual roaster of stingers and crashes to, you know, to give the score (and film) duality and whatnot. Some examples:

Richard Band's MUTANT, THE ALCHEMIST and HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW.
James Horner's DEADLY BLESSING.
Daniel Licht's CHILDREN OF THE CORN 2 and BAD MOON.
Leonard Rosenman's PROPHECY.
Mark Mckenzie's WARLOCK: THE ARMAGEDDON.
Charles Bernstein's CUJO and DEADLY FRIEND.
Pino Donaggio's CARRIE, PIRANHA, DON'T LOOK NOW, etc.
Christopher Young's INVADERS FROM MARS (among other, more 'darkly elegant' works).
Jerry Goldsmith's THE OMEN and POLTERGEIST.
David Shire's MONKEYSHINES.
Harry Manfredini's DEEPSTAR SIX.

Just a few of the many (released) examples to illustrate my point. Now let's discuss a few gems that NEED A RELEASE DAMMIT!!!

1.) RAWHEAD REX by Colin Towns. A more epic, sweeping score you will never find for a mediocre monster movie. This badly needs a release. It was recorded in London with what sounds like at least a 90 piece ensemble. I contacted Towns a while back about this and sadly, he's really not in any rush to get this one released. I'd be thrilled just to own a suite of the main and end title cues. Damn shame. Collins is a brilliantly talented composer badly under-represented on album (check out his score for THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE - friggin' gorgeous stuff!)

2.) SAVAGE HARVEST and THE SLAYER by Robert Folk. Folk is a brilliant composer in my eye, and these two scores - his first two ever, actually - are superb examples of his ability. The Slayer was performed by the National Philharmonic, and it's an incredibly dramatic, sweeping work to accompany a muddy slasher flick. Check out a VHS rip of the end credits:

Savage Harvest is a movie about killer lions. Folk approached it with a very sad, sweeping thematic voice. The end title cue is really gorgeous, heartbreaking even. Definitely needs a release - a superb mixture of relentless orchestral carnage and sweeping majesty. The entire film is up on Youtube, but the sound quality is offensively bad and does the music an immense disservice. Not sure of the whereabouts of the elements of these scores. I'll send Folk an email to inquire.

3.) THE PACK by Lee Holdridge. A terrific, frenzied and extremely dynamic score from one of the most underrated guys out there. The action/horror material is probably the most violent stuff he's ever written, but contrasting that is not only a lovely family theme and a sweeping title theme, but a gorgeous, absolutely heartbreaking theme for the family dog in this "nature turns on man" flick. The performance of this later theme over the end title is far, far too beautiful for a horror film. I recently wrote to Holdridge and asked about this score - he said that Buysoundtrax recently brought it up with him for a possible release, but he said they may need to do some major surgery on the tapes as they're very old. We'll see. Here's the entire film on Youtube below. There is actually a bootleg of the score floating around out there (it includes some alternate takes interestingly enough), but the quality is piss-poor.

EMBRYO by Gil Melle. Really beautiful and dramatic title theme in this one. Like nearly everything he's done - no release whatsoever. The film is in the public domain, but as to the state or whereabout of the master elements, well that's anyone's guess. Complete film is here:

DNA by Christopher L. Stone. This is a fantastic, highly thematic action-horror score for the lousy Predator rip-off from 1997. Lots of ethnic elements and sweeping interludes. An A-lister couldn't have done with one any better if you ask me. A DVD rip of the end titles is up on youtube:

CURTAINS by Paul Zaza. A lovely title theme and lots of eerie, woodwind-laden suspense music. Here's a VHS rip of the end titles below. Who knows if this one exists anymore or not.

WAXWORKS by Roger Bellon. This strange 1988 horror comedy has a varied, dramatic and occasionally pop-influenced orchestral score. There's baroque-sounding love theme that emerges later in the film, best heard at 3:40 into the video posted below. It's really...freaking gorgeous. The whole score is great and worth checking out. I recently inquired with Mr. Bellon and he said that there's actually a company (didn't mention whom) that's interested in releasing this one actually. Hopefully we'll get it soon then!

IT by RIchard Bellis. I think this is an obvious one. Beautiful, lamentful main theme for piano, strings and trumpet balancing some truly frightening synth stuff. There's an 18 minutes suite (an excellent one at that) available on the composer's promo, highlights of which can be found below:

I'll continue to update the list. Thoughts, comments, recommendations?

Post subject: Re: The official post for GREAT UNRELEASED HORROR SCORES!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:52 am 

"Salem's Lot"
By: Harry Sukman

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:03 am 

Lets hope the labels gives us some great horror this Halloween as they did last year (Scarecrows, Childs Play, Night of the Creeps, The Believers, Children of the Corn etc

Some Manfredini music or Salems lot by Sukman (so we can throw away that "unmentionable"), and ofcourse alittle C.Bernstein and Jay Chattaway...
How about :
The Stepfather by Patrick Moriaz
The Chosen Survivors by Fred Karlin
Wolfen by James Horner
Fright Night 1 & 2 by Brad Fiedel
Prom Night/Black Christmas by Paul Zaza
Madman by Stephen Horelick

yes I can continue on forever...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 am 

Varese released (hey, that rhymes!) CHILDREN OF THE CORN earlier this year. Probably sold out at this point though...the only cue I personally found appealing was the two minutes of dramatic string and piano writing in "The Resolution".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 pm 

Damn, I was hoping this thread would become a hit - no dice I guess!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:03 am 

It should as we comecloser and closer to Halloween and the season for horrormusic to blast out through our speakers...

One of my alltime fave released horrorscores is THE HITCHER by Mark Isham...absolutely amazing...
Last year we got both Scarecrows from intrada and Night of the Creeps fromLLLR (Childs Play had been released before, and I wonder what the labels will give us this year?
I guess Intrada spits out that funky vampire from LOVE AT FIRST BITE by Charles Bernstein. and LLLR will give us Alien Resurrection among others and Clue...
VareseClub may see Manfredinis Swamp Thing on a LP to CD
and FSM will finally release either Salems Lot or Wolfen...
Perseverance will give us that Puppetmaster box set

This is only speculation on my side thou, but we know LLLR and Perseverance will release these sometime this year and my hidden sources tell me that Intrada may do another Bernstein soon just to please little ól me :) I love those guys :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 pm 

The best score for Halloween would be Gremlins 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 am 

GRIZZLY by Ragland, how could I have forgot that one!?!!?!? I love that score. The soaring main titles alone are worth the price of an album.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am 

Oh, and here is a quick suite I threw together a while back for those who have not heard "Salem's Lot":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLLHxJrqn5A

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:38 am 

THE HAUNTING (1963) by Humphrey Searle.
Right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 pm 

Halloween is right around the corner and I thought I would unearth this thread again...

My grail list for this year says it all...

So, here are some unreleased(so far as I know) horror/thriller scores that I would love to add to the collection (and scare my neighbors with)

AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION
STRANGER IS WATCHING
SEDUCTION
Lalo Schifrin

THE HAND
DEADLY BLESSING
WOLFEN
James Horner

THE FAN
Pino Donaggio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:55 pm 

AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION
STRANGER IS WATCHING
SEDUCTION
Lalo Schifrin

THE HAND
DEADLY BLESSING
WOLFEN
James Horner

THE FAN
Pino Donaggio

I am absolutely NOT complaining on your list and it looks fine :)
I met Michael Biehn once and when shaking his hand all I could here was the main theme to The Fan and his letter monologue *LOL* great stuff by Donaggio :)

The Horner titles are no brainers (especially Wolfen which is awsome) that really needs to be released, I´m just saying :mrgreen:

Schifrin´s Amityville 2 was a truelly creepy score to a creepy movie and it would be awsome to hear it without all the SFX from the movie...