[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Frankenstein: The True Story - Gil Mellé

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frankenstein: The True Story - Gil Mellé
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:21 pm 
I've mentioned Mellé's score for The Sentinel a number of times, so I'll throw this equally enticing 70s Universal horror score by Mellé out there for consideration. I'm sure that it's been in the back of Intrada's collective mind, but it being made a priority would be fantastic.

Post subject: Re: Frankenstein: The True Story - Gil Mellé
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:14 pm 

London Symphony Orchestra here!

I'm in too, very fine score.
-Sean

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:18 pm 

Would be great.

I remember anticipating this made for TV movie when I was a kid. I even saved the TV guide that featured a cover story.

I'm proud to say that I own every single Intrada release... of Gil Mellè music that is. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 pm 

It's decades since I saw the series. The music impressed then. An album over 40 years on would be terrific!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:42 pm 

Anything by Gil Mellè would be a purchase from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:34 pm 

as a fan of Mellé and a fan of horror scores this interests me greatly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 am 
I, too, would buy and have bought anything by Mellé.

I know he's not popular among collectors, but I honestly think horror scores such as Frankenstein and The Sentinel would pull-in some relatively good sales. That also applies to sci-fi works such as Starship Invasions and The Ultimate Warrior.

Heck, those four mentioned scores could conceivably do well with today's vinyl audience.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:34 pm 

[quote="T. Newman Fan"]" scores could conceivably do well with today's vinyl audience"

Just who are these people who've embraced vinyl again? Can there possibly be a market for an LP of, say, the re-recording of Franz Waxman's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN? I would grant that a lot of these soundtrack vinyl releases are very limited editions. Even so, I'm bemused (and I only abandoned vinyl myself 8 years ago)!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:54 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 pm 

"From what I've been able to tell, it is mostly the cult horror/sci-fi and more recent popular titles that attract today's vinyl soundtrack collectors. Get the art right and you really have them sold."

I'm not personally convinced they are selling. There is certainly an attempt by the record industry to push vinyl but I'm not convinced the people who are buying Varese Club and Intrada Special Collection and the like releases are the same as those to whom vinyl is apparently being aimed at.

In fact only a few years ago I defended vinyl on the Bernard Herrmann Society forum and the response from digital adherents felt like a swarm of angry hornets had descended on my rather mild remarks. For people with existing analogue equipment, there might be some rationale. I just don't believe hordes of people are going out there buying new turntables and other analogue paraphernalia.

I had a great love for vinyl but it proved an absolute pain in the neck, and I'm sure that's the attitude of the majority.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:44 am 

Much of the new vinyl that I've seen recently comes off as a novelty for the USB crowd. Poor production values, gimmicks, limited pressing for quick sales and way over priced. I bought many of the Italian Dagored LP's hot off the press for $13.99 a few years ago and was disappointed when they stopped pressing vinyl. Now they're back at $30.00 a pop, keep it.

What's with the new Psycho LP, a boot of a boot CD? The cover looks horrible as if it was enlarged from the CD insert. The Hills Have Eyes LP is simply the CD used as a master and pressed to vinyl.

If you want really nice professionally produced LP's the Italian Cinedelic's are works of art, the ones I bought a few years ago are, Keoma, I'll Profeto, Cosî Dolce... Cosî Perversa and the others. I didn't buy the picture discs, too gimmicky.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:57 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 pm 

One of the reasons the record industry elected to "kill off" vinyl as a mainstream format in the late '80's, was not that there wasn't a market, simply because LPs were so expensive to produce compared to CDs. (And of course LP sales had been in decline for about a decade, even before the introduction of the CD. Hard to believe, but at the time the CD was launched, pre-recorded cassettes were outselling LPs!) Vinyl of course never died. But what is interesting for a "serious" film music consumer, is the expansion of titles in this genre in just the last three years (and not just horror and science fiction titles). This may have something to do with the dramatic drop in the oil price (and of course this product is an important component in LP records.) Still I'm convinced it is a largely different market to those who buy Intrada Special Collection and Varese Club and the like. Screen Archives Entertainment, the largest outlet for these sort of titles in the U.S., won't have anything to do with vinyl.