Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miklos Rozsa in 2018
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 am 

Dear Doug, dear Roger!

I want to ask - can we expect some Rozsa releases in 2018?

All the best, Michał

Post subject: Re: Miklos Rozsa in 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 am 

Do you have any particular unreleased Rózsa score interests in mind? Just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
Do you have any particular unreleased Rózsa score interests in mind? Just curious.

I think especially about two things -

1 - CD releases of 3 LP's of Polydor Suites from 70 with Rozsa conducting Royal Philharmonic

2 - Complete release of "Sodom and Gomorrah" - of course we have great new recording from Prometheus, but it will be great to get complete OST with good sound - I still dont believe that Italian Digitmovies release use original session tapes - this release sound very bad and many music is still missing.

Intrada can found very good source for "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" so Im hope, that in case of "Sodom and Gomorrah" miracle also happen and maybe they can found original session masters?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 am 

As I understand it, the Italian Digitmovies release was in fact not taken from complete session tapes, but rather for the RCA Italy 2-LP set (which itself presumably was, though it itself isn't quite complete, as the amazing complete new Tadlow recording revealed):
https://lpcover.wordpress.com/2016/04/0 ... omorrah-4/

Unfortunately Digitmovies applied some rather aggressive noise processing (perhaps because the tapes for the LP program are themselves lost, and they were presumably mastering from the LP itself?) which all agree render their album much worse-sounding than the 2LP set it was taken from.
Though Digitmovies's set sold well enough that they later reissued it in a non-jewel case edition, they made no attempt to remaster or improve the sound from their previous edition. My hope is that one day Intrada or LLL or other label with a Sony relationship will be able to locate the original masters for that 2LP RCA Italy album, and release this score under the composer's baton in much better sound quality.

That said since we have the Tadlow I will agree that finding the masters for Rozsa's three great Polydor albums is an even greater priority. So many of his earlier scores (like his second Oscar-winner, A Double Life) are only given representation on those albums. They would make a marvelous two disc set (or three, if kept in their original album configurations). Roger once pointedly said that Intrada just hasn't gotten to it yet because their UMG wish list is just so long, but implying that they would get to it sooner or later.

Another worthy reissue would be the original King of Kings recording, with the Rhino long out of print and even FSM's release of the extras and album recording in their Rozsa Treasury also no longer available. Since Intrada has improved upon other Rhino releases like Herrmann's North by Northwest, maybe one day they will tackle KoK (or Ivanhoe, for that matter), remastering it with better modern technology and including all the extras like the album recording.

I'd also love a reissue of Rozsa's final score, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, with better sound/liner notes/packaging than the Prometheus...I'm not sure if they did the complete score or not.

Apart from those great reissue wants, I think most Rozsa that *can* be released, *has* been released. Sadly much of his great early works like Knight Without Armour and The Four Feathers are apparently lost and could only be done as a re-recording, if Intrada felt like starting up their Excalibur series again. (I'm afraid their last couple Rozsa recordings may have not sold well enough for that.)

We know for a fact that the Rhino (including MGM/RKO/Warner Bros.) and Paramount vaults are now completely exhausted of surviving material, thanks to Lukas Kendall's diligence in hunting every possible scrap down for Intrada and his own FSM label. That leaves Universal as the only possible remaining source for unreleased original recordings. It is possible that that stuff (like Brute Force, which was released on an unlicensed LP) might still have been preserved, but no one has gotten to it yet because licensing Universal releases is a slower process compared with other studios. I would at least have more hope that a late 50s score like A Time to Love and a Time to Die (a loan-out to Universal during his MGM contract) might be possible to expand beyond its UMG-owned album, but then dealing with both Universal and UMG is a more costly process that Intrada might not be eager to do beyond a Goldsmith score for example, more guaranteed to sell well and recoup costs. But who knows? Maybe Intrada is hard at work at a definitive "Miklos Rozsa at Universal" which will include all the surviving stuff in that studio's vaults...we can only hope.

Yavar

P.S. There is one other surviving Rozsa score that deserves definitive treatment on CD, but only Varese can do it: as Roger has explained, unlike Last Embrace, their contract for Eye of the Needle, when they did the re-recording in Germany, apparently also precluded anyone else from releasing the (highly superior, in my view) film recording done in England with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Better performance, better recording, and obviously much more complete...sadly Varese seems uninterested because instead of reissuing their album recording as a Deluxe Edition paired with the complete film recording (as they did with The Fury, for example) they only did an Encore Edition of their own inferior recording. We know the film recording survives because Twilight Time released it as an isolated score track (albeit with any film edits, so possibly not truly complete). I hope one day Varese will change their minds and put out this excellent score, but seeing as how they still haven't even gotten around to Goldsmith scores like The Other and the two Flints (which got Twilight Time iso tracks even earlier), I wouldn't hold my breath.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 am 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
That said since we have the Tadlow I will agree that finding the masters for Rozsa's three great Polydor albums is an even greater priority. So many of his earlier scores (like his second Oscar-winner, A Double Life) are only given representation on those albums. They would make a marvelous two disc set (or three, if kept in their original album configurations). Roger once pointedly said that Intrada just hasn't gotten to it yet because their UMG wish list is just so long, but implying that they would get to it sooner or later.

Did Roger say that? I find it hard to believe that the usual UMG wait time is what's holding up a release of the Polydor albums. While the wait is long, lots of UMG albums get licensed by numerous soundtrack labels, and a good number of them are arguably not even near the caliber of these Rózsa offerings. I suspect that there's something else at issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
Yavar Moradi wrote:

Did Roger say that? I find it hard to believe that the usual UMG wait time is what's holding up a release of the Polydor albums. While the wait is long, lots of UMG albums get licensed by numerous soundtrack labels, and a good number of them are arguably not even near the caliber of these Rózsa offerings. I suspect that there's something else at issue.

Said Roger in March 2016:

"We have these on our plate with UMG and they haven't said anything about missing masters. Licensing challenges, but not master issues. We'll stay on it but we have some other bigger fish with them at the moment."

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p ... &archive=0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am 

litefoot wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:
Yavar Moradi wrote:

Said Roger in March 2016:

"We have these on our plate with UMG and they haven't said anything about missing masters. Licensing challenges, but not master issues. We'll stay on it but we have some other bigger fish with them at the moment."

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p ... &archive=0

I wonder what those licensing challenges are. They have indeed released some big fish from UMG since that post. Silent Running, Shogun and Chinatown come to mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:10 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
They have indeed released some big fish from UMG since that post.

And probably a lot more to come.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:58 pm 

litefoot wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:
They have indeed released some big fish from UMG since that post.

And probably a lot more to come.

Hope so. When they finish the three Polydor albums and the requisite licensing for the first two Airport scores, Intrada has my esteemed permission to do the moldy oldies listed in the thread below.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7606