Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Latest releases in 2017 ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

What about The Mighty Ducks trilogy?

The Ernest comedies that Disney owns?

The 100 Lives Of Black Jack Savage?

The score may be more action-packed than the film.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:26 pm 

disneyfella wrote:
What about The Mighty Ducks trilogy?

The Ernest comedies that Disney owns?

The 100 Lives Of Black Jack Savage?

The score may be more action-packed than the film.

None of those could be considered masterpieces, by any stretch of the imagination.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 am 

Just looking at the other assets Disney owns:

Touchstone Pictures
Lucasfilm
Marvel

Are there any others?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 am 

litefoot wrote:
They've not done any archive material from Zimmer but they did release his score to The Lone Ranger, so who knows?

You're forgetting White Fang, though I suspect they tackled the project more for the Poledouris score. Still, they *could* have chosen to leave the Zimmer score off, but they didn't.

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 am 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
litefoot wrote:
They've not done any archive material from Zimmer but they did release his score to The Lone Ranger, so who knows?

You're forgetting White Fang, though I suspect they tackled the project more for the Poledouris score. Still, they *could* have chosen to leave the Zimmer score off, but they didn't.

Yavar

Indeed, I forgot that one!

I've been looking through the Touchstones catalog for anything that might be considered an action masterpiece. This is tricky.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:27 am 

Regardless, the composer should not matter. Intrada introduces a new composer to its label every now and then, with this year bringing their first albums by Quincy Jones, Kenyon Hopkins, Aaron Copland and Frank LaLoggia.

As ought to be the case, the balance of elements/rights and basic demand are what counts. Despite some vocal people attempting to appear musically erudite by constantly ridiculing Hans Zimmer, he is one of the more popular draws.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
As ought to be the case, the balance of elements/rights and basic demand are what counts. Despite some vocal people attempting to appear musically erudite by constantly ridiculing Hans Zimmer, he is one of the more popular draws.

The Pirates of the Caribbean films are rather lengthy (the first one alone is 2 hrs 20), are owned by Disney, and scored by Zimmer/Badelt and their team. Conceivably enough music for a 3 CD set. And it's an action-packed score. I have the original CD myself. So that all fits. But I can't see Doug calling it a masterpiece somehow. Same with Willow.

I was looking at Howard the Duck, a film I've never seen. Lucasfilm, so Disney territory. Barry score, plus replacement Levay material, plus songs. Could conceivably be 3 CDs with all that lot, plus the original album. But I've never heard anyone refer to the score as an action masterpiece. So that doesn't seem right either.

Tron... too short. Basil Poledouris' Jungle Book... too short. Horner's Mighty Joe Young? Star Wars: A New Hope? I'm just making wild stabs in the dark now...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:58 pm 

I just read the Mike Matessino interview at jwfan. No Star Wars expanded score presentations coming 'just yet'. So that's Star Wars off the table for a while.

Full interview:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9994

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:01 am 

litefoot wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

The Pirates of the Caribbean films are rather lengthy (the first one alone is 2 hrs 20), are owned by Disney, and scored by Zimmer/Badelt and their team. Conceivably enough music for a 3 CD set. And it's an action-packed score. I have the original CD myself. So that all fits. But I can't see Doug calling it a masterpiece somehow. Same with Willow.

I can easily imagine Doug calling Willow a masterpiece. At the very least, it's a masterpiece of emotion and musicianship.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
litefoot wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

I can easily imagine Doug calling Willow a masterpiece. At the very least, it's a masterpiece of emotion and musicianship.

But an action-packed masterpiece? Not so sure.

As regards LLL's Black Friday releases, they go on sale on Tuesday Nov 28th, which would normally be an Intrada announcement day (if the two week pattern continues), so I'm wondering if Intrada might alter their schedule to delay their Christmas titles a week or so.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 am 

Clue day? Cosmos Vol 3, probably. And maybe Roger will unveil the plans for the rest of the year too.