Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest releases in 2017 ?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am 

Hello Intrada :)

I have a little question.

How many more releases can we expect in 2017?

And when final 2017 release is planned ?

Post subject: Re: Latest releases in 2017 ?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:26 am 

Michal Turkowski wrote:
Hello Intrada :)

I have a little question.

How many more releases can we expect in 2017?

And when final 2017 release is planned ?

I've had a gander at Roger and Doug's recent posts and there are some clues about what we might expect before the year is out. Before you read this, bear in mind their plans could change.

When Intrada released Alan Silvestri's first Cosmos CD in June, Doug said "our agreement for the four volumes was always tied to having separate releases with some distance between them - perhaps six to eight weeks or so.". There was a nine week gap between Vols 1 and 2, and it's been 11 weeks since Vol 2 came out, in August, so Vol 3 is probably in the next batch - November 14th?

Then there were a couple of updates from Doug, firstly from August:

"I guess it's cheating - or perhaps just teasing folks - to say what I'm listening to now is a 9-minute action sequence from a massive two-hour score I'm currently editing and mastering. All in magnificent stereo. With no less than six French horns, four trumpets, four trombones and a tuba taking up the back row of the orchestra! Yep, it's a loud one. A powerhouse, to be sure... and hopefully coming your way before too many moons pass. (Because I'm sorta getting my fill of this one and am anxious to move on to my next project, still another action-packed masterpiece, this time from the Disney vaults.)"

and then in October, in reference to the above:

"Yes, I teased about a massive score with a lot of brass and indeed was feeling ready to move on to my next project from Disney, ironically an equally big project. But to keep everyone on their toes, neither the one I teased about (now completed) nor the subsequent Disney score (currently assembled into a 3-CD set and being mastered as I write) are the projects under discussion in this thread (edit - Troy and Shogun). Yep. That's right. The two titles Roger gives a nod to (both epics in my opinion) are NOT the big projects I alluded to, for Warner Bros. and Disney respectively. Bottom line: Intrada has a number of pretty exciting releases to bring out over the next three months or thereabouts... so stay tuned."

So that's a powerhouse, action packed masterpiece of a two hour score with lots of brass from Warner Bros; and a 3-CD, action-packed masterpiece from Disney; both coming in 'three months or thereabouts' - i.e. by Christmas. Both big projects.

And this from Roger, in April:

"we have TEN projects that are done. Some were very hard - one four CD set, two three CD sets, a few two CD sets. Some exciting stuff but very resource intensive to complete...and they're all stuck in approvals. That's much more disillusioning to me than sales figures, TBH."

We've had two three CD sets since then - Poltergeist II and Shogun - and a few 2-CD sets. But we've not had that mysterious four-CD set.

So... Cosmos Vol 3, a WB 2-CD set, a Disney 3-CD set and a 4-CD set are the strong possibilities for the rest of 2017.

It's the Disney set that intrigues me the most. The way Doug phrases it, it's a score from a film rather than TV. But what action-packed Disney film score are there? At first I thought 'Mulan' but that has a short running time of 88m, and includes songs. Could both songs and score (with alternates) fill up three discs? Doubtful. Poltergeist 2 got a 3-CD treatment with digital mixes on Disc 1 and analog mixes on Disc 2 but I doubt that would apply to Mulan. It seems more suited to Disney's own 'Legacy Collection' range, anyway. I'm stumped on this one. What film would fit the bill?

The 4-CD set must be a TV series. Scarecrow and Mrs King? Thriller? I can't think of any oft-requested major film projects a la Ten Commandments that would merit four discs... so must be a TV series. Has to be.

Plenty to chew on over the coming months.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:29 am 

Well, late last year, Roger hinted that Intrada would possibly be releasing an expanded Willow at some point. Seeing that UMG is involved, and they usually require the album to be included, the 3 CD description could fit this one, no (2 CDs for the complete score and 1 CD for the album)?

Here's the quote from Roger and the link from FSM:

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 - 10:18 AM
By: Roger Feigelson (Member)

You don't need a petition. It's on our list for UMG and Disney. It'll happen someday.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118173&forumID=1&archive=0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:36 am 

JTWfan77 wrote:
Well, late last year, Roger hinted that Intrada would possibly be releasing an expanded Willow at some point. Seeing that UMG is involved, and they usually require the album to be included, the 3 CD description could fit this one, no (2 CDs for the complete score and 1 CD for the album)?

I sure as hell hope not.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:44 am 

JTWfan77 wrote:

I know Willow is a popular Horner request, but I think many of those people would not regard it as a 'masterpiece'. I vaguely recall Lukas Kendall saying once that it sent him to sleep! The 3-CD set is something else.

*edit* OK, he didn't say it sent him to sleep, but close enough :)

"Willow? Isn't that 78 minutes? Somehow they even put it all on the vinyl, I remember. I think I made it to the end once. I looked out the window and it was dark out."

It'll come for the Horner fans eventually, but not as a 3-CD set. 2 CDs at most if the score's 78 minutes long, with the album on Disc 2. It's been ages since I've seen the film so I might have another look to see what the music's like and if it's worthy of a purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:39 am 

The existing album for Willow is over 70 minutes. The complete score would flow over two discs. A third disc of the album would be total overkill in my mind, but it wouldn't be the first such case.

I'm trying to find a way to make the existing album shorter, not longer. That said, the expansion should easily sell more than double the units than premiere masterpieces by composers who are not Horner, Williams or Goldsmith.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 am 

Lukas Kendall has dissed many of Horner's scores before, just read some of the reviews in the old print FSM magazine.

Willow was my entry point to Horner's oeuvre, the same way that Star Wars was to Williams' and Star Trek: TMP was to Goldsmith's. Yes, Horner was controversial for his plagiarism, but his ability to evoke the emotion of a scene musically was, in my opinion, right up there with the greats.

There is quite a bit of unreleased music, my own favourite being the cue featured when Madmartigan brandishes his sword in the snow, to which Willow exclaims "You ARE great!". Also, the whole sequence with Cherlindrea and the Brownies in the forest is unreleased.

The album may be long, but it does repeat Willow the Conqueror (it's contained in the end credits suite as well).

If the 3 CD set isn't Willow, I'd love to know what it is. It must be one helluva score!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

There's NO indication that I can see that the "two hour powerhouse score" (which is indeed not unlikely to be Willow...there's far more than 78 minutes of score) has anything to do with the 3CD set.

The sheer amount of overkill that would entail is ridiculous anyway. As much as I love the score, I wouldn't buy such a set. Taking up about 5 times as much space on my shelf (and quite possibly paying $10 more) all because of a 100% redundant 73 minute disc? No thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:27 am 

TerraEpon wrote:
There's NO indication that I can see that the "two hour powerhouse score" (which is indeed not unlikely to be Willow...there's far more than 78 minutes of score) has anything to do with the 3CD set.

The sheer amount of overkill that would entail is ridiculous anyway. As much as I love the score, I wouldn't buy such a set. Taking up about 5 times as much space on my shelf (and quite possibly paying $10 more) all because of a 100% redundant 73 minute disc? No thank you.

The powerhouse two-hour score is from WB, so can't be Willow. It's separate from the Disney 3-CD set. If there's loads of Willow material, it could be the 3-CD Disney set, but I still think it's something else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:12 am 

JTWfan77 wrote:
Yes, Horner was controversial for his plagiarism, but his ability to evoke the emotion of a scene musically was, in my opinion, right up there with the greats.

Agreed. While knowing where many of Horner's ideas come from does hinder my appreciation of his music a bit, we can't deny that a number of top film composers are/were heavily "influenced" by classical greats long past. Some just conceal it better than others.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 am 

Ok, so what other scores could fit the 3 CD Disney description? No way Mulan has enough material for 3 CDs. Could it be something older, from the 60's or 70's perhaps? Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:30 am 

Absent Minded Professor and Son Of Flubber combo?

The Love Bug films?

Zorro season 1?

The Davy Crockett films?

The Parent Trap films?

Old Yeller and Savage Sam combo?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 pm 

JTWfan77 wrote:
Ok, so what other scores could fit the 3 CD Disney description? No way Mulan has enough material for 3 CDs. Could it be something older, from the 60's or 70's perhaps? Any ideas?

We could widen the scope to films owned by Disney rather than traditional Disney films (for example, Armageddon is Touchstone Pictures which is part of Disney. Not that I think it's Armageddon)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 pm 

"...still another action-packed masterpiece, this time from the Disney vaults."

"... ready to move on to my next project from Disney, ironically an equally big project..."

"...currently assembled into a 3-CD set..."

1. 3 CDs
2. Masterpiece
3. Big project
4. Action-packed

Would Doug consider something by Zimmer / Media Ventures / RC a masterpiece? They certainly did some big projects for Disney (Touchstone / Hollywood Pictures). Pearl Harbor?

What on Earth could this be? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:19 pm 

JTWfan77 wrote:
"...still another action-packed masterpiece, this time from the Disney vaults."

"... ready to move on to my next project from Disney, ironically an equally big project..."

"...currently assembled into a 3-CD set..."

1. 3 CDs
2. Masterpiece
3. Big project
4. Action-packed

Would Doug consider something by Zimmer / Media Ventures / RC a masterpiece? They certainly did some big projects for Disney (Touchstone / Hollywood Pictures). Pearl Harbor?

What on Earth could this be? :shock:

They've not done any archive material from Zimmer but they did release his score to The Lone Ranger, so who knows?

The Rock is full of action music but not enough for 3 CDs.

Someone in the original thread suggested the 2-CD WB set might be The Perfect Storm.