Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 30th Release
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 am 

Goldenagers will delight in this mid-50s release, featuring the premiere appearance of this score by one of Golden Age's greats! Never released in any format, except on LP, but not really. And there's two meanings behind that comment!

Post subject: Re: May 30th Release
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 am 

The Caine Mutiny -- Max Steiner.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:39 am 

I think mg42 hit the bullseye. (And with his very first post here!)

Selfishly I immediately wondered what unrecorded Alfred Newman might fit the clue, even though I know Hugo Friedhofer sells better these days. But the CAINE MUTINY album reportedly contains more dialogue from the film than it has Steiner music; and as that LP is legendarily rare because author Herman Wouk's lawyers quickly had the album's distribution blocked over Columbia Pictures' failure to pay him anything for the use of his dialogue, the record never really got "released."

This could still be some other title, but I think the reasonable guessing from Roger's subtle clues might already be over!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:17 pm 

Davy Crockett by George Bruns?!??

Had LP issues, but with vocal narration. There were two films, with 2 LPS so it could be the double meaning ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:10 am 

disneyfella wrote:

Had LP issues, but with vocal narration. There were two films, with 2 LPS so it could be the double meaning ;-)

I hope it is that too.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:00 am 

AugustusDogCare wrote:
disneyfella wrote:

I hope it is that too.

George Bruns one of Golden Age's greats? I think Max Steiner is nearer that definition.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 am 

Whatever it is, I'll buy one.

Thanks Roger and Doug for another forthcoming Golden Age CD! :D

Can't wait for the announcement tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:56 pm 

PFK wrote:

Dr. Feigelson abides.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:17 pm 

PFK wrote:

I'm really hoping for Dimitri Tiomkin's Night Passage(1957)! After Intrada's superb release of Rio Bravo(1959) I'll believe anything is possible! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:02 am 

I'll go with Niall on this. NIGHT PASSAGE was a Universal film (which Intrada has had a past and fruitfull relationship with) and was available, only partially, on the "b-side" of the old "Cinema Records" LP that also held Tiomkin's TOWN WITHOUT PITY. It does occur to me that if one counts the main title song re-record of PASSAGE on the Laurie Johnson album of Tiomkin western themes and suites, that might take it out of contention.

As I said in a post at FSM, I'm probably miserably wrong about this but I'm an optimist to the end. And if I'm wrong, there's always a shot or six of Kinnickinnic to assuage my disappointment, eh, Niall?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am 

vinylscrubber wrote:
I'll go with Niall on this. NIGHT PASSAGE was a Universal film (which Intrada has had a past and fruitfull relationship with) and was available, only partially, on the "b-side" of the old "Cinema Records" LP that also held Tiomkin's TOWN WITHOUT PITY. It does occur to me that if one counts the main title song re-record of PASSAGE on the Laurie Johnson album of Tiomkin western themes and suites, that might take it out of contention.

As I said in a post at FSM, I'm probably miserably wrong about this but I'm an optimist to the end. And if I'm wrong, there's always a shot or six of Kinnickinnic to assuage my disappointment, eh, Niall?

Hi Mark, I'm afraid it is beginning to look as if we might have to seek recourse in the Kinnickinnic tonight as it looking increasingly like The Caine Mutiny will be announced, sic. Oh well, maybe Night Passage will be released sometime in the future...still that old Kinnickinnic ain't half bad! I still have some Eagle Rare left too, and I'm saving some for you and Eilene, lol! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:06 am 

Enthusiastic, serious collectors certainly understand what it's like to pine away for material that's ultra-rare, or just unavailable/never released. While niall has come around, vinylscrubber would do better to stop expecting this imminent title to be NIGHT PASSAGE.

First, you know that Intrada does not even tolerate discussion of bootleg recordings in their forum -- so people who even remember "Cinema Records" ought to see that Roger wouldn't be likely to refer to such material in his clues for an upcoming title. Second -- while perhaps you haven't read this yet -- the latest "Doug's Corner" announces that this new release was Oscar-nominated for Best Original Score. NIGHT PASSAGE was not; but THE CAINE MUTINY was. And last, wouldn't you think that the military-themed CAINE MUTINY would be a higher-profile, better-timed premiere for America's Memorial Day holiday than a Dimitri Tiomkin Western?

I'm trying to help, not rub it in. I sure know firsthand that it's better to be let down with plenty of notice than to suffer disappointment at the last minute. If someday Intrada will serve up that Tiomkin of your hopes, I can't see how it's going to be this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:21 am 

Steven Lloyd wrote:
Enthusiastic, serious collectors certainly understand what it's like to pine away for material that's ultra-rare, or just unavailable/never released. While niall has come around, vinylscrubber would do better to stop expecting this imminent title to be NIGHT PASSAGE.

First, you know that Intrada does not even tolerate discussion of bootleg recordings in their forum -- so people who even remember "Cinema Records" ought to see that Roger wouldn't be likely to refer to such material in his clues for an upcoming title. Second -- while perhaps you haven't read this yet -- the latest "Doug's Corner" announces that this new release was Oscar-nominated for Best Original Score. NIGHT PASSAGE was not; but THE CAINE MUTINY was. And last, wouldn't you think that the military-themed CAINE MUTINY would be a higher-profile, better-timed premiere for America's Memorial Day holiday than a Dimitri Tiomkin Western?

I'm trying to help, not rub it in. I sure know firsthand that it's better to be let down with plenty of notice than to suffer disappointment at the last minute. If someday Intrada will serve up that Tiomkin of your hopes, I can't see how it's going to be this time.

It's ok Steven, Mark and I will have our bottles of Kinnickinnic at the ready to numb the pain, lol! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:40 pm 

And the title is...The Caine Mutiny! looks good too. Well done Intrada. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm 

What a great release! Ranks right up there with RIO BRAVO and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE as the best ever from the Golden Age!

SCOTT