Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 16th release
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 am 

Some collectors may be perplexed that this score is getting reissued yet again, but the previous release had sold out quickly showing there continues to be a perpetual market for it, plus it's an important score to Intrada and we wanted it back! Three CDs this time if that isn't enough to make your head spin. Disc 1 and 2 feature the same program with a major difference -- the first is taken from the analog film mix, featuring a crisp, detailed recording, but designed for the film's needs, including louder electronics. The second disc features the entire score from the digital recording, mixed by the composer and engineer specifically for consumer listening in mind. It's a clean recording since it's digital, but the production team also added reverb taking away some of the details. Neither recording therefore is perfect, so pick your preference. I myself prefer the analog version. Disc 3 includes the extras, including some significant previously not released stuff. Great new cover art (a bit reminiscent of Nightmare on Elm Street strangely enough)

I'm sure some of you figured this out at "some collectors."

Post subject: Re: May 16th release
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:09 am 

Switchback, originally released as Intrada Special Collection Vol. 1, and previously reissued under the MAF label? The inaugural Special Collection release would seem important to Intrada (and all of us fans of Intrada!).

-Air Force One [expanded] (Jerry Goldsmith)
-Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith [expanded] (John Williams)
-Horror of Dracula (James Bernard)
-Psycho III (Carter Burwell)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 pm 

It's sounds like Poltergeist 2! They just missed the anniversary of the film last year (1986-2016) so it makes all the sense in the world since it was one of their earliest releases and a popular one at that since it's been released by Varese twice, Kritzerland's solid double CD set and of course, Intrada themselves as an expanded version in the early 90's. If it has that killer artwork from the recent Shout Factory release, I'm in!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:34 pm 

lawandorder wrote:
It's sounds like Poltergeist 2! They just missed the anniversary of the film last year (1986-2016) so it makes all the sense in the world since it was one of their earliest releases and a popular one at that since it's been released by Varese twice, Kritzerland's solid double CD set and of course, Intrada themselves as an expanded version in the early 90's. If it has that killer artwork from the recent Shout Factory release, I'm in!

Aah, that makes more sense. I didn’t think of that one because the most recent re-releases were on different labels, whereas Switchback I believe has been exclusively released by Intrada. The Nightmare on Elm Street artwork reference did have me scratching my head initially, too – didn’t seem to fit for Switchback, but I took a stab.

I just looked up the Shout! Factory release…it almost looks like they copied the Freddy Krueger visage from the Freddy’s Revenge artwork for Reverend Kane. Even the line of spirits approaching the house makes me think of the Dream Warriors artwork. That said, the artwork does look great.

If so, the big question will be whether I triple dip on this one…

Also if so:

“THEY’RE BACK…again.”

-Air Force One [expanded] (Jerry Goldsmith)
-Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith [expanded] (John Williams)
-Horror of Dracula (James Bernard)
-Psycho III (Carter Burwell)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:46 pm 

Of course i'd prefer some long overdue unreleased stuff like Psycho III or the Airport scores, or even an expanded/film version of Renzetti's Poltergeist III. But I'm curious for the additional extras on this 6th release of this score (the first rerelease if you consider the complete score).

With fewer older scores to be expanded/released it is probable that more and more rereleases will come.

It is not necessary a bad thing when improvements can be made. I loved Dressed To Kill rerelease. I'd also love for example if Intrada revisited in the future Jaws 3-D to undo some crossfading of tracks, reorder the tracks in film order (separating alternates and source from the main program), but I know it is not happening now as this title is being reprinted. I'm also waiting for the new Rambo III.

Last edited by danbeck on Thu May 11, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
I'm sure some of you figured this out at "some collectors."

Not actually on some collectors but at "we wanted it back!"...

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm 

I love it, the first ever soundtrack
label diss record!

Intrada continues to make history!!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 am 

Poltergeist II: The Other Side 3CD set with never before heard tracks, analog & digital presentations along with new cover art. Oh what the hell why not. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:18 pm 

If PII I hope this guy moves this one in a hurry. https://www.amazon.com/Poltergeist-Delu ... ergeist+II

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:06 pm 

Is there anyone who prefers the digital mix?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm 

My guess on cd 3 content:
Original album program (with Late Call with the phone ring and the edited Reaching Out [no chorus and shortned finale]) +
The same "no chorus" cues of the Kritzerland and adding a no chorus version of "They're Back"+
Some newly discovered alternates

Main cover Shout Factory's Blu Ray cover + flip/booklet cover original album cover.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:38 am 

no offense to the previous post but I really really hate those Scream factory custom made cover art jobs. Sure some can be cool but give me the original poster artwork any day.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 am 

JackDVD78@aol.com wrote:
no offense to the previous post but I really really hate those Scream factory custom made cover art jobs. Sure some can be cool but give me the original poster artwork any day.

What you refer to as "custom made cover art" in many cases could just be original studio artwork for either alternate domestic or international distribution. Many films had multiple poster designs (for the basic one-sheet or other poster sizes) even in their original release, as well as completely different artwork for use in other countries. Couldn't that apply here?

If POLTERGEIST II is the title in question here, it's easy to imagine MGM in 1986 having commissioned one ad campaign deliberately hoping to appeal to fans of another contemporary, unrelated series such as ELM STREET.

So sure, Jack, you have a right to prefer original (or let's say "basic") artwork, especially if you're used to that. But for marketing, it would make perfect logical sense for Intrada to use cover art that would (a) be immediately distinct from all previous issues of a much-reissued score and (b) match a current, high-profile Blu-ray release. Off the top of my head, for Varese Sarabande's reissue of Goldsmith's HOUR OF THE GUN album they chose not the original poster/LP jacket art as Intrada had done, but the design of the then-new DVD cover.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 am 

danbeck wrote:
With fewer older scores to be expanded/released it is probable that more and more rereleases will come.

I just wish that this market was much more open to older premieres. I might buy this re-re-re-release of Poltergeist II despite it being far from a favorite Goldsmith score, but that's only because I'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:34 pm 

Steven Lloyd wrote:
JackDVD78@aol.com wrote:

What you refer to as "custom made cover art"

Sorry I should have stated it correctly newly commissioned artwork.

I don't mind a new kind of artwork but the artwork that Scream uses on their updated covers all have that same look to them. Many Like them and many hate them.

I do understand variations of artwork originally created for distribution in the U.S. and outside etc. Plus soundtrack purchasing for limited edition discs is a niche crowd and most know how to determine the differences on editions even if they sometimes use the same artwork.

Intrada generally uses artwork and layout / design that show that come off classy.

AND they used that SCREAM FACTORY cover art. personally I hate it. It would look great on a tee shirt but I suppose it isn't the worst cover art possible.