Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feb 7th Release
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:06 am 

Early 90s animated theatrical feature gets its debut on CD. Lengthy, large orchestral score filled with excitement and charm.

Post subject: Re: Feb 7th Release
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:11 am 

DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp by David Newman?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:33 pm 

I think Ducktales had a CD release already, though it may have been promo only. What about a score album for A Goofy Movie? I suppose that was "mid-90s."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:12 pm 

Is it from Disney or other studio?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:53 pm 

Could it be ROCK-A-DOODLE by Robert Folk? I think the released CD featured only the songs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:41 am 

disneyfella wrote:
I think Ducktales had a CD release already, though it may have been promo only. What about a score album for A Goofy Movie? I suppose that was "mid-90s."

No, it didn't.
And Rock-A-Doodle already had its debut on CD.
It can only be Ducktales ! And one for me ! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:35 am 

Anakin McFly wrote:
disneyfella wrote:

No, it didn't.
And Rock-A-Doodle already had its debut on CD.
It can only be Ducktales ! And one for me ! :)

If it is Ducktales, that would be great because I love the series and movie. Let's just hope they tell us soon of what soundtrack it will be from the early 90's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:25 pm 

I swear if it's DuckTales: The Movie I will seriously cream my pants with excitement.

Knowing that there's a lot of animated movies that fit that description I won't really hold myself if it's Ducktales but if its.. OH BOY..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:37 pm 

If this does turn out to be DUCKTALES: THE MOVIE, I really hope this counts as a plus toward a potential release of the TV score - as much as I love the movie's music, I love the TV material a thousand times more (and knowing how well David Newman knocked it out of the ballpark for the film, that should give you an idea of how good the Ron Jones stuff is). Here's part of my post about the movie over on FSM:

Quote:
There are a few really awesome leitmotifs here that fit the feel of DuckTales to a "T". There's a main theme representing the Ducks, another representing Merlock, another for Dijon, one for the desert expedition... But to get the bad out of the way first, I'm not a big fan of the recurring "action" theme - a series of about seven frantic and very repetitive notes, looped three or four times each time it occurs. Had Ron Jones scored the movie, the action music would have no doubt been breathtaking.

Now for the positive. The main theme in particular is a seriously joyful earworm, and is also nicely flexible as it appears in various forms: an adventure theme (the camel-riding journey through the desert), a victory theme (the discovery of Collie Baba's treasure), a military march (Scrooge and the kids move to take the Money Bin back from Dijon), and a gorgeous happy-go-lucky theme (the kids are outside in a grove, playing with all the new, extravagant toys they've wished for, and Huey wishes for the world's biggest ice cream sundae).

My favorite moment in the score is those two minutes toward the final confrontation, as the Money Bin is transforming into Merlock's bizarre "house", a gigantic, thorny abomination of a castle that has the appearance of some kind of monstrous tree root. The best parts, which do an utterly masterful job of bringing out the despair of the situation, are heard when Scrooge dashes into his vault and sees his money disappear before his eyes, when Webby nearly falls down the stairwell and has to be pulled back up by the nephews, and especially the spine-chilling strings when the whole transformation culminates with Merlock's hideous throne "blossoming". If I could describe the sound of it, it's like Satan himself opened the gates of Hell to swallow up the entire earth, and it's actually surprisingly dark for DuckTales.

You'll also notice a few short, orchestrated quotations here and there from the iconic theme song (such as on the MovieToons title at the beginning) - something which even Ron didn't do much of during the course of the TV series.

I'm probably jumping the gun by saying all this, as we don't know anything for sure yet, but at least, if this release is going to be DuckTales: The Movie, I don't have to worry about heart failure when I see the name DUCKTALES in an announcement thread's subject line here, since I'll be expecting it to be the movie's score.

I'll never forget an exchange between tharpdevenport and Doug from December 2012, just before I first joined this forum:

Douglass Fake wrote:
tharpdevenport wrote:
Having said all that, is there even a remote chance for something like a 2 or 3CD set of "Ducktales" (Ron Jones, and the pilot score by Chase & Rucker)?

Ummmm.... the quick answer is no. The longer answer is, even though it's possible, I've got countless other titles I want to work with first.
--Doug

Which of course, when I saw it, made me feel as hopeless as ever - at first, but the important thing to take away is what Doug added on the next page:

Douglass Fake wrote:
By the way, always hang on to hope. While it's not high on my list, that's mainly because so many other scores are. I have lots of wants still. People sometimes say there's not much left to release but I sure can come up with a list a mile long. Old scores from the 1930's and 1940's, 1950's, stuff I grew up hoping for in the 1960's and 1970's, endless TV scores, episode scores, expanded stuff by the dozens, countless treasures in the Disney vaults, you name it.

So your Ron Jones hopes are certainly worth holding on to as well. :)
--Doug

So I'll continue hanging on to hope that Intrada will eventually hear the Ron Jones DuckTales score, and recognize it for the gold it is and begin pursuing a release. Until that day, I'll offer this: I remain convinced that a single disc of the score to the TV pilot, "Treasure of the Golden Suns", would be all it would take to drum up buyer interest in everything else Ron composed for the Ducks.

And now I should probably quit making this about the TV series when the clue is definitely not pointing to that. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:41 pm 

Well, I look forward to when they surprise us before the release of what it is they have in mind for us to buy buy buy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:33 am 

Quote:
Knowing that there's a lot of animated movies that fit that description I won't really hold myself if it's Ducktales but if its.. OH BOY..

I don't see any other US animated feature that fits.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 pm 

Anakin McFly wrote:
Quote:

Early 90s can be from 1990 to maybe 1995, there's a lot of animated features..

I want it to be DuckTales but I'm not holding on it too much, to not be dissapointed if.

These two days of waiting are gonna be long.. and let's not talk til the CD comes to me! I live in Spain :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:50 pm 

By the way, kenisu3000, I'm listening to the Ron Jones score of DuckTales (what has been available) and indeed I gotta say it sounds good, too. It's so deserving of a release, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:46 pm 

PonyoBellanote wrote:
Anakin McFly wrote:
Quote:

Early 90s can be from 1990 to maybe 1995, there's a lot of animated features..

I want it to be DuckTales but I'm not holding on it too much, to not be dissapointed if.

These two days of waiting are gonna be long.. and let's not talk til the CD comes to me! I live in Spain :cry:

In my book, "early" means 90-91. 1995 might be mid 90's. :wink: