Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Aug 23rd
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:06 am 

Steven Lloyd wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
With this box set being released soon, does this mean Intrada have plans for other box set titles?

If they do, it would still be reasonable for them to wait to see whether (no, let's think "when") the TEN COMMANDMENTS set recoups its costs, before they pursue another large-scale project. In other words, John, you are curious while I'm quite content.

Reports of the CD market's decline make it all the more heroic and commendable for Intrada to have undertaken this release for such a niche market as we comprise. After all, we've had the chance to notice how Varese has reined in the schedule for their club releases, as well as lowering their edition sizes. FSM is already long gone; and when did SAE last issue anything?

I wish Intrada the relief of early success from what promises to be one of the greatest boxed editions in this field ever!

Hear! Hear! Heroic is the operative word. I wouldn't have dared to dream, with the passing of sixty years, that this release is possible. Thank you, Intrada. Thank you! Thank you!

"As we grow older the world becomes stranger ..." - T.S. Eliot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:01 pm 

Roger, will THE TEN COMMANDMENTS be issued September 6th? Sure hope so! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:51 pm 

PFK wrote:
Roger, will THE TEN COMMANDMENTS be issued September 6th? Sure hope so! :)

I'm trying to find out as we speak.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:25 am 

[quote="PFK"][quote="James MacMillan"][quote="PFK"]

I think it was recorded in the Radio Recorders studio in Hollywood. Elmer did other re-recordings there too, many for UA Records like THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE SCALPHUNTERS, HAWAII, RETURN OF THE SEVEN/MAGNIFICENT 7 etc. Waxman did the UA LP to TARAS BULBA there, etc. I think the recording equipment was excellent for the 1960s, smaller orchestras were used. Back in the 60s it was cheaper to re-record a score than to pay the high re-use fees etc.[/quote]

PFK, at the risk of being pedantic (and in no way wishing to de-rail this thread!), the album for Return of the Seven was recorded at the (now long defunct) CTS Studio at Bayswater in London...[/quote]

Are you sure? If so, I stand corrected.[/quote]

Sure I'm sure. The late Lionel Godfrey did a brief report in his Films&Filming column at the time, saying that "Bernstein was on top form as a conductor". Bernstein himself mentioned the experience in a radio interview he did with Roy Pickard at the BBC. Jack Clegg was the recording engineer. On the subject of those United Artists pictures and albums, CAST A GIANT SHADOW was also recorded at CTS, though in that instance the recording engineer was John Norman.

- James.