Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aug 23rd
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 pm 

PFK wrote:
Don't forget Elmer recorded one LP in stereo about 1966 for United Artists Records too!

The first Dot 2 LP set says mono. The second Dot 2 LP set says it's newly recorded for Dot in stereo.

Forgot, PFK? I never even knew about the UA album. (Single-disc and smaller orchestra?) I've treasured the Dot label's stereo release since 1972, when I was delighted to find a still-sealed copy of it. But I've been "ready to go" for the special COMMANDMENTS set since Doug let us know it was in the pipeline, since I have quietly but really wanted those film recordings. When its time comes, I'm even looking forward to what might be a fabulous history related in a spectacular booklet -- or maybe even deluxe scrolls!

But it's still possible that Monday's announcement will be a lavish edition of some unrelated project, so I'd better resume my wait-to-see mode. I'm holding some money aside, Roger, so meet me halfway on this!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:39 pm 

I'd like to think our discussion about it possibly being "The Ten Commandments" would have been blocked by a statement saying otherwise by now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:01 pm 

Steven Lloyd wrote:
PFK wrote:
Don't forget Elmer recorded one LP in stereo about 1966 for United Artists Records too!

The first Dot 2 LP set says mono. The second Dot 2 LP set says it's newly recorded for Dot in stereo.

Forgot, PFK? I never even knew about the UA album. (Single-disc and smaller orchestra?) I've treasured the Dot label's stereo release since 1972, when I was delighted to find a still-sealed copy of it. But I've been "ready to go" for the special COMMANDMENTS set since Doug let us know it was in the pipeline, since I have quietly but really wanted those film recordings. When its time comes, I'm even looking forward to what might be a fabulous history related in a spectacular booklet -- or maybe even deluxe scrolls!

But it's still possible that Monday's announcement will be a lavish edition of some unrelated project, so I'd better resume my wait-to-see mode. I'm holding some money aside, Roger, so meet me halfway on this!

Believe it or not Steven, in 1966 I bought the UA LP first, played it a lot, then bought the 2 LP Dot set!
So I was used to the UA LP first. It's only 27 minutes with 10 bands of music. It's a smaller orchestra but was conducted with great vigor by Elmer. I like it a lot. Hopefully this will be in the Intrada box of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

I think it was recorded in the Radio Recorders studio in Hollywood. Elmer did other re-recordings there too, many for UA Records like THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE SCALPHUNTERS, HAWAII, RETURN OF THE SEVEN/MAGNIFICENT 7 etc. Waxman did the UA LP to TARAS BULBA there, etc. I think the recording equipment was excellent for the 1960s, smaller orchestras were used. Back in the 60s it was cheaper to re-record a score than to pay the high re-use fees etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:22 am 

Ssshhh...for your eyes only:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:46 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Roger Feigelson wrote:
Ssshhh...for your eyes only:

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:03 am 

Roger, if its ok just go ahead and post so we can order :D I need to order this, Joe Kidd, and Is Paris Burning. :)

Just love the look of this set!

also have to add that I love that we get individual cases for the different albums. Love it!

Last edited by JackDVD78@aol.com on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:37 am 

GULP! Holy soundtrack!! :o Beyond my wildest expectations.

Dennis

"As we grow older the world becomes stranger ..." - T.S. Eliot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:12 am 

Looks wonderful ! Congratulations and MAZEL TOV to everyone who put this project together at Intrada.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 am 

This looks FANTASTIC! It's even better than I expected!

Thanks Roger, Doug and the entire Intrada team! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:56 pm 

I also love that you used the original cover art from those three vinyl albums.

Dennis

"As we grow older the world becomes stranger ..." - T.S. Eliot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:05 pm 

Holy cow!

John Morris website
Dario Marianelli website

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:21 pm 

And here comes the bad news. April Fools!! No, I jest. The release is real. But I just heard from the plant this morning that the slip case with the fancy gold foil lettering for the title will take an extra TWO WEEKS. So, I apologize for the late breaking disappointing news, but I will try to give out additional info to help us all get through two more weeks of waiting.

In the meantime, not nearly as epic we do have another release to put in its place. This one is an oddball because it's a reissue of a title still in print in our catalog. But Doug and I both felt something things needed to be changed. So here you go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:34 pm 

Roger, perhaps it makes sense to re-title this thread to say "September 6", and start a different thread for the reissue coming August 23rd?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:58 pm 

[quote="PFK"]

I think it was recorded in the Radio Recorders studio in Hollywood. Elmer did other re-recordings there too, many for UA Records like THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE SCALPHUNTERS, HAWAII, RETURN OF THE SEVEN/MAGNIFICENT 7 etc. Waxman did the UA LP to TARAS BULBA there, etc. I think the recording equipment was excellent for the 1960s, smaller orchestras were used. Back in the 60s it was cheaper to re-record a score than to pay the high re-use fees etc.[/quote]

PFK, at the risk of being pedantic (and in no way wishing to de-rail this thread!), the album for Return of the Seven was recorded at the (now long defunct) CTS Studio at Bayswater in London...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:01 pm 

This certainly looks like an interesting release. Wonder what the oddball release will be?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next