Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3/1 Releases
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:17 pm 

Jay wrote:
Robert Drasnin ... (4 episodes, 1985-1986)
Morton Stevens ... (2 episodes, 1985)
Robert Folk ... (2 episodes, 1986)
Jerrold Immel ... (1 episode, 1985)
John Debney ... (1 episode, 1986)
Richard Stone ... (1 episode, 1986)

So going by Roger's list of composers, the above big(ish) names who worked on this series according to IMDb (there may be more) will be entirely left off of this volume. I hope that means there will be more volumes to come. After all, many of the composers Roger did list scored three or four episodes of the show. If Intrada does this series as they did Amazing Stories, they won't be including everything by Basil Poledouris (for example) on this volume any more than they put all of John Williams's work on Volume 1 of AS, so there is every likelihood that there will be more Poledouris, McCarthy, Steiner, and such saved for Volume 2...

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm 

Roger, Doug indicated there are some vinyl releases coming in "about a week" - do they get announced on March 1st as well?

Quote:
We have two more premium vinyl titles up for release in just about a week and yet another one following shortly thereafter.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:45 pm 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
Jay wrote:
Robert Drasnin ... (4 episodes, 1985-1986)
Morton Stevens ... (2 episodes, 1985)
Robert Folk ... (2 episodes, 1986)
Jerrold Immel ... (1 episode, 1985)
John Debney ... (1 episode, 1986)
Richard Stone ... (1 episode, 1986)

So going by Roger's list of composers, the above big(ish) names who worked on this series according to IMDb (there may be more) will be entirely left off of this volume. I hope that means there will be more volumes to come. After all, many of the composers Roger did list scored three or four episodes of the show. If Intrada does this series as they did Amazing Stories, they won't be including everything by Basil Poledouris (for example) on this volume any more than they put all of John Williams's work on Volume 1 of AS, so there is every likelihood that there will be more Poledouris, McCarthy, Steiner, and such saved for Volume 2...

Yavar

Being very familiar with this series' scores, Robert Drasnin and Morton Stevens are the only slightly disappointing omissions.

It is important to know that many scores in this series are very short (no more than around five to ten minutes), and a lot of them that will apparently not be on this set are not much more than simple ostinatos or synth noodling.

A lot can be done for this series with just a few discs, and this Intrada set could have all of the lengthier and most interesting scores covered.

Last edited by T. Newman Fan on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:03 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
Being very familiar with this series' scores, Robert Drasnin and Morton Stevens are the only slightly disappointing omissions.
It is important to know that many scores in this series are very short (no more than a few minutes), and a lot of them that will apparently not be on this set are not much more than simple ostinatos or synth noodling.

What about Robert Folk's two scores? He was turning out great orchestral work in the 80s -- are these TZ scores exceptions to that? I thought it was particularly strange that he was left off considering he's one of the series composers, like Poledouris, Young, and Safan, who have had an especially close relationship with Intrada over the years.

And leaving off Stevens and Drasnin is surprising too...Intrada made sure to include Stevens's excellent contribution to Masada on their release, and put out Drasnin's The Kremlin Letter (plus some of his TV work, perhaps?) So it's not like they're not fans.

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 pm 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:
It is important to know that many scores in this series are very short (no more than a few minutes), and a lot of them that will apparently not be on this set are not much more than simple ostinatos or synth noodling.

What about Robert Folk's two scores? He was turning out great orchestral work in the 80s -- are these TZ scores exceptions to that? I thought it was particularly strange that he was left off considering he's one of the series composers, like Poledouris, Young, and Safan, who have had an especially close relationship with Intrada over the years.

And leaving off Stevens and Drasnin is surprising too...Intrada made sure to include Stevens's excellent contribution to Masada on their release, and put out Drasnin's The Kremlin Letter (plus some of his TV work, perhaps?) So it's not like they're not fans.

Yavar

Folk’s Twilight Zone scores aren’t bad (“Button, Button” is engaging in context), it’s just that they don’t have me craving them to be on an album. If I remember correctly, Debney did do some lush orchestral work for his score, but it’s nothing that the show allowed to be all that significant.

Even if all of the music is available, adding more brings up the cost, so I would rather have a tight presentation of the most interesting scores that keeps costs down and have Intrada move on to one of the dozens of other TV series with even richer music.

But, as you said earlier, it is possible that Intrada has another volume planned. Not including all of the Poledouris scores on this set is one sure way to draw people in for a second volume. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:59 pm 

Good points and thanks for the info about the Folk and Debney scores!

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 pm 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
Good points and thanks for the info about the Folk and Debney scores!

Yavar

Your mileage may vary greatly regarding Folk’s efforts. I should note that Folk did more than two scores for this series, enough for Intrada to claim him as “lead” composer for a possible second volume if they were so inclined and if the elements are available. “Song of the Younger World” is perhaps the one that would captivate the average listener the most with its orchestral conventionalism.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:44 pm 

Yes, I see now from Justin Boggan's site listing for this show that Folk did no fewer then five scores for the series rather than the two listed by IMDb. Good to know, and as a big Folk fan myself hopefully that Volume 2 will be happening!

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:24 pm 

Releases announced here: http://creaturefeatures.com/

Will autographed copies for either release be available thru INTRADA, or only by ordering thru Creature Features?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 pm 

If only there were some signed copies available through intrada... that would be perfect!
I really don't want to spent a single penny supporting these CF thiefs. :roll:

John Morris website
Dario Marianelli website

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:22 pm 

Just $35 for three presumably packed discs. Nice. It will be an amazing album in my mind if the following scores are included:

A Message from Charity (Poledouris)
Profile in Silver (Poledouris)
Monsters! (Poledouris)
A Day in Beaumont (Steiner)
Dead Woman's Shoes (Safan)
A Matter of Minutes (Young)
Time and Teresa Golowitz (Goldstein)
The Card (Goldstein)
Her Pilgrim Soul (Goldstein)
Red Snow (Kaplan)
The Road Less Traveled (McCarthy)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:32 am 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

Yavar

Seriously...we've rescued some great music that took years of detective work and negotiations to get out and your immediate response is to focus on all the stuff not included? Why would you do that to yourself? Celebrate what we managed to get out. It's not like there's a shortage of stuff to listen to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:43 am 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
Yavar Moradi wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

Yavar

Seriously...we've rescued some great music that took years of detective work and negotiations to get out and your immediate response is to focus on all the stuff not included? Why would you do that to yourself? Celebrate what we managed to get out. It's not like there's a shortage of stuff to listen to.

What’s even more important in my opinion as a consumer is to actually know the content that is missing before becoming upset in the slightest. I’m a fan of many composers, including Robert Folk, but let’s face it, not everything our favorite composers do is all that interesting in accordance to our tastes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:10 pm 

and the autographs...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:02 am 

Regarding the Poledouris release, I'd KILL for an Under Siege 2: Dark Territory Complete Score. But that's just me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next