Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 3/1 Releases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:01 am 

Thanks. So the trade-off for autographs is a potentially damaged front insert. And no Intrada wampum bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 pm 

Potentially damaged by the hand of Bruce Broughton, fine for me ! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:00 am 

Lokutus wrote:
Opened and signed...
Only one cover.

Sometime back I asked Intrada for a clean booklet and they apologised that they were only able to provide the actual signed cd booklet( at the event i.e.) that comes with the cd set. So no extra copies are provided for signing like the way LLL does.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:48 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
Yavar Moradi wrote:
Good points and thanks for the info about the Folk and Debney scores!

Yavar

Your mileage may vary greatly regarding Folk’s efforts. I should note that Folk did more than two scores for this series, enough for Intrada to claim him as “lead” composer for a possible second volume if they were so inclined and if the elements are available. “Song of the Younger World” is perhaps the one that would captivate the average listener the most with its orchestral conventionalism.

It appears that the show credits the wrong composer for “Song of the Younger World,” and it is actually Poledouris who scored it. And here I was thinking that it is Folk's most album-friendly and full-bodied score for the series. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:15 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:
Yavar Moradi wrote:
Good points and thanks for the info about the Folk and Debney scores!

Yavar

Your mileage may vary greatly regarding Folk’s efforts. I should note that Folk did more than two scores for this series, enough for Intrada to claim him as “lead” composer for a possible second volume if they were so inclined and if the elements are available. “Song of the Younger World” is perhaps the one that would captivate the average listener the most with its orchestral conventionalism.

It appears that the show credits the wrong composer for “Song of the Younger World,” and it is actually Poledouris who scored it. And here I was thinking that it is Folk's most album-friendly and full-bodied score for the series. :lol:

I went even further than that. As a huge fan of the score, but with little Folk product available, I bought every promo he released in the early to mid 90's (Ace Ventura, Nothing To Lose, Selected Suites, etc), as well as a whole bunch of official releases. Well over $100. All due to this oversight really. Although I'm fond of his score to The Saucer of Loneliness. If, you know, that was really him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:45 pm 

Well, at least you were prompted to buy some other good music then!

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 am 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
Well, at least you were prompted to buy some other good music then!

Yavar

I think I played all of it once, and none of it really grabbed me. But always meant to get back to it one day.

Anything in particular you'd recommend? [I have Selected Suites and most of the promos and a handful of official releases, but I know from memory I never owned Toy Soldiers which was hard to get at the time]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:31 pm 

Oh darn. Toy Soldiers is the best! Hopefully Intrada re-releases it one day, perhaps expanded further if possible. Let's see...of what you have I'd relisten to the Slected Suites disc first. Lot of good variety on that.

As far as stuff to pick up beyond Toy Soldiers, I'd recommend Beastmaster II very highly. Originally an Intrada release but in print from BSX now. Neverending Story II is very good as well, though t could probably use an expansion as it's a pretty brief score selection. Lawnmower Man 2 is also excellent. (What is it with Folk and sequels?) In the Army Now is fun if you don't mind bombast and a debt to Indiana Jones...but I'd hold off on seeking out the album because it has some of the more disappointing sound quality of any Intrada release. (Maybe they or BSX could reissue it and fix that.)

Finally, I can give a strong recommendation to a recent score of his, the epic There Be Dragons. Varese released it a few years ago and it's just gorgeous. I think you can find excerpts and even a behind the scenes featurette on the score on YouTube...

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:35 pm 

One word of warning: Avoid Maximum Risk if you haven't bought it yet. Very different from his other, more orchestral, work. Can't Buy Me Love isn't terribly distinguished either but I won't tell you to avoid that because it is paired on a twofer with an absolutely GORGEOUS David Newman score (truly one of his best): Paradise.

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:06 pm 

The releases are released.

Btw, anyone who's purchased from CF know if "pending payment" status always shows, even after you've paid?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:18 pm 

Cheers Yavar, I will give some of those another spin, and maybe buy a few of the others if I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:23 pm 

His best (at least among released scores) in indeed Toy Soldiers so it's unfortunate that it's one you don't have access to and is the hardest to get. But I imagine you will find at least some of the selected suites interesting, and then you can go on from there.

I found the excellent scoring session featurette on Youtube for There Be Dragons, which should give you a good sense of that score (a more recent one which isn't on your Selected Suites disc):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtrgZ7B5Mek

Compared to Twilight Zone scoring, it may be a little bit too "epic" for your taste, but give it a try. It was a big surprise when Folk was announced on this since it seemed his career had petered out (based on his talent he really deserved to score much better films and have a bigger career) and the internation version already had a score by the talented Stephen Warbeck besides (ironically unreleased). I hope he will continue to get the occasional bigger project in the future and I'm glad Varese released that one...

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:23 pm 

I'll second your opinion on There Be Dragons. It's a massive orchestral score I often play, it's rousing and elegant. We're lucky to have this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:56 pm 

Yes, “There Be Dragons” is fantastic. I am very selective with regard to epic scores, but that one, Badalamenti’s “Stalingrad” and Young’s “The Monkey King” are recent epics that grab my interest to the fullest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6