Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coming 10/13 (and possibly 10/20)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:40 am 

We might be announcing three titles on Monday, one shipping later next week and two the following. For now, I talk about the one coming next week. It was one of two titles we hoped to come out the week of of anniversary celebration, but approvals are so unpredictable. It's one of Doug's favorite scores. Interesting story on this one. We had done a straight reissue of the LP program previously and it sold out quickly. I was a little unhappy with how much noise reduction was used taking away some of the crispness, so since it sold out so quickly I thought this was a good chance to address that. Couldn't do anything about the reverb it was drowning in, but at least it would be back in print with better clarify. When we searched for the elements this time around we came up with something we didn't know about the first time -- the original 1/2" multitracks of the music selected for the LP. This is before it was mixed and mastered with so much reverb. Better still...there were three additional tracks that were apparently intended for the LP that had been cut from the LP master. No idea where the rest of the masters for the score are, but now there is one important new score cue we added plus two additional source cues, all in crisp, significantly less reverby sound. Some tracks were also truncated a bit and are restored to their full length.

Post subject: Re: Coming 10/13 (and possibly 10/20)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:11 am 

Seems like In Harm's Way. That album always sounded to me like it has processed reverb galore, and I believe it sold out quickly when compared to other Intrada LP reissues.

Oh, and of course In Harm's Way is one of Doug's favorite scores.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:03 am 

Yup,
IN HARM'S WAY alright

Very fitting release considering your other recent impressive LP master recording discoveries.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:06 am 

And for those who have stayed tuned we'll be announcing two more titles Monday evening that will ship sometime later the following week (I hope!). I know this is a little different than our usual routine but we adapt to the world around us. Clues...well, I'll use my other formula:

1 of 3 gets a refurbished new packaging job. What was once a 2-CD set geared towards collectors, this release features just disc one for the broader market. It was rebuilt from the ground up for this release, but it's the exact same program.

2 of 3 gets an entirely new facelift, featuring the complete score on 2-CDs, including alternates. It's about time!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:18 am 

AWESOME!!!!

:D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:22 am 

Well I think it's going to be two Back to the Future scores at once! (And maybe Varese will join in with #3!)

I for one am more excited about a new In Harm's Way, even if it's only slightly expanded a la Secret of NIMH. I would have hoped some kind of stems or something existed for the missing cues, similar to other Paramount films of the era like Warning Shot, Seconds, and Sebastian, but I guess not. Still amazing to get better sources, a new score cue, and even some more Jerry-penned source music.

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:37 am 

I totally agree with Yavar. Nice Job.

So it's

IN HARM'S WAY
BACK TO THE FUTURE (SINGLE DISC EDITION)
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART 2 (EXPANDED)

Perfect! Just in time for the new special edition Blu-Ray collection of BTTF which is coming out on the 20th.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:18 pm 

BTTF2 on TWO CDs? Geeze, I'm guessing it's still only like 90 minutes (unless they throw in the original album, hopefully not). Hopefully this includes the original trailer recording for 3...

Wonder what it means that BTTF1 is 'rebuilt from the ground up'...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:36 pm 

I. Love. Intrada.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:11 pm 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
I would have hoped some kind of stems or something existed for the missing cues, similar to other Paramount films of the era like Warning Shot, Seconds, and Sebastian, but I guess not. Still amazing to get better sources, a new score cue, and even some more Jerry-penned source music.

Not adding film stems makes me even more inclined to buy this. While I edit out such tracks for my own listening, I think that this film stem trend devalues the product when it's tacked on to great quality elements all in the name of making the album complete just for completeness sake.

Not all film stems sound terrible, but I listen to some of them and I'm thinking "People actually enjoy listening to this rubbish?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:39 pm 

I think the film stems for those aforementioned three titles sound quite acceptable (I haven't heard The Trouble With Angels yet). And it isn't as if you don't get an abbreviated presentation still in superior sound quality, so what's there to lose on the consumer's side by Intrada including the best sources possible for the complete score?

The worst sounding of those three "film stem" releases is Seconds, but as that one didn't have any LP release or better quality source, and it's quite honestly one of the greatest scores Goldsmith ever wrote, I'm extremely grateful that LaLaLand decided it was good enough to release...

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:06 pm 

Yavar Moradi wrote:
Well I think it's going to be two Back to the Future scores at once! (And maybe Varese will join in with #3!)

Hopefully not too coincidentally, Varese is scheduled to announce a batch of Club releases on Monday too...

-Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:48 am 

TerraEpon wrote:
Wonder what it means that BTTF1 is 'rebuilt from the ground up'...

I was wondering the same thing. New mixes? New source material? New track order?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:19 am 

Only last week i had In Harm's Way on repeat spin.
I bet this new version in Intada's 30th year, will be just awesome.
A belated birthday gem for sure.
Add Silvestri in the mix with a fine tuned BTTF (Flashing flux capacitor packaging would be 8) )
"Great Scott" an expansion of BTTF pt II , well i'm in.
So many suberb scores this month, at this rate i'm gonna need Biff & the almanac. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:56 am 

lawandorder wrote:
I totally agree with Yavar. Nice Job.

So it's

IN HARM'S WAY
BACK TO THE FUTURE (SINGLE DISC EDITION)
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART 2 (EXPANDED)

Perfect! Just in time for the new special edition Blu-Ray collection of BTTF which is coming out on the 20th.

If this is true and Varese Sarabande delivers Part III, it couldn´t get any better :D

A complete "Back To The Future" box set would be great. Sometimes it is also possible with film box sets, where the movies are made from different companies.

ROCKY - Box Set (I, II, III, V, Balboa) - Bill Conti 1976-2006
Hart To Hart (TV Soundtrack) - Mark Snow 1979
Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves - Michael Kamen 1991
T2: Judgment Day - Brad Fiedel 1991