Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8/18 Releases
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:17 pm 

I have an early day tomorrow so I wanted to get these out a little earlier than usual. The first goes all the way back to 2013. A small sci-fi film with a score by a guy who is no stranger to sci-fi or fantasy. New to Intrada, though.

The second is a classic animated film from the early 80s that gets a slight expansion. It's been on CD twice, and the second presentation was a great album. While there's more music in the film, the main thing missing was one set piece cue. After an exhaustive search (did I say it was exhaustive?), we able to locate...the multitrack for that missing set piece. The other bits and pieces were not to be found anywhere. But what a find! We also located some alternate vocal demos. This is it guys...it's as good as it's going to get. But going back to the original masters allowed for updated mastering as well.

Post subject: Re: 8/18 Releases
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:44 pm 

THE SECRET OF NIMH - Jerry Goldsmith
Seems to be the animated one.
The original album was a generous 48minutes.
Definitely getting it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 pm 

Yup, The Secret of NIMH. Its second album release changed the daft sequencing of the first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm 

Yeah it has to be NIMH. By the clue the rest of the album is also remastered? Outstanding, as the Varese release has somewhat...fuzzy....sound.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:10 am 

Is the first release Graeme Revell's Riddick? I'm not sure if you'd consider that a "small" film, but I cannot see any other 2013 sci-fi films that were composed by a composer who has never been on Intrada, that didn't already have an OST at the time of the film's release.

For example, Europa Report is a small 2013 sci-fi film, whose composer (Bear McCreary) has never been on Intrada. But it has an OST CD on Sparks and Shadows.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:26 am 

Jay wrote:
Is the first release Graeme Revell's Riddick? I'm not sure if you'd consider that a "small" film, but I cannot see any other 2013 sci-fi films that were composed by a composer who has never been on Intrada, that didn't already have an OST at the time of the film's release.

I'd say that Riddick is small scale with regard to budget when compared to a lot of Hollywood sci-fi films that are made in this era.

TerraEpon wrote:
Yeah it has to be NIMH. By the clue the rest of the album is also remastered? Outstanding, as the Varese release has somewhat...fuzzy....sound.

I was never too keen on its sound, either, but always chalked it up to being due to the acoustic properties of the recording itself. I feel the same about some other Goldsmith scores of this period. It will be interesting to hear the samples for this Intrada album.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:39 pm 

*gasps* The Secret of NIMH? Oh God yes! Please let it be NIMH, I have been waiting for an expanded/remastered rerelease of that Goldsmith classic! I have the first ever album release, strangely it's from Varese's European branch, and unfortunately one of the tracks skips halfway through and doesn't play properly unless you skip that track completely. x.x So hopefully it will be good to hear the entire track without having to skip over it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:00 am 

I'm definitely buying NIMH, one of my TOP5 FAV Goldsmith along with Gremlins, Poltergeist, Supergirl and Explorers !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:40 am 

Jay wrote:

For example, Europa Report is a small 2013 sci-fi film, whose composer (Bear McCreary) has never been on Intrada. But it has an OST CD on Sparks and Shadows.

Not Riddick. I should clarify that the CD we're releasing was available as a download only. I forgot about that!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:48 am 

Maybe Escape From Planet Earth (Aaron Zigman) ? It was a download-only release, but Zigman rarely scored SF movies, some good fantasy movies though ! This is one of the rare composers I enjoy every score he does.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:29 pm 

I had another idea. Because Roger you said he was no stranger to SF and Fantasy, maybe you meant he worked as an editor on some of the most famous fantasy films of the last decade (ie LOTR trilogy), and maybe you meant Gravity could be considered as a SF movie...
So that made me think of The World's End (Steven Price).
I'm not sure though...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:59 pm 

Anakin McFly wrote:
I had another idea. Because Roger you said he was no stranger to SF and Fantasy, maybe you meant he worked as an editor on some of the most famous fantasy films of the last decade (ie LOTR trilogy), and maybe you meant Gravity could be considered as a SF movie...
I'm not sure though...

That's a good guess. I don't recall there being a CD at the time I bought the download. Attack the Block is another well-known sci-fi film that Price scored in his young career as a composer, so he's no stranger to the genre in all of his professions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:09 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
Anakin McFly wrote:
I'm not sure though...

That's a good guess. I don't recall there being a CD at the time I bought the download. Attack the Block is another well-known sci-fi film that Price scored in his young career as a composer, so he's no stranger to the genre in all of his professions.

No, but this guy did score a big sci-fi film this summer. This is like the antithesis of that one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:27 pm 

RIPD by Christophe Beck?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:52 pm 

Jay wrote:
RIPD by Christophe Beck?

Nice try. I'm beginning to think not many people are familiar with the film, in spite of it being a well constructed and intriguing story. The male lead was in a hit 90s supernatural film (he was just a kid then) and the female lead is known for her ongoing role in a sci-fi saga.