Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6/23 Releases
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:28 am 

Two titles from the 80s. One from the mid-80s from a year overflowing with incredible scores so it was easy to miss this one. It came out on LP, was reissued on a slightly expanded CD paired with another score, but this time it's fully expanded to over 70 minutes and includes some percussion overdubs that hadn't been included previously. It's one of my favorite scores of that year, yet a neglected work. Take a listen and you can't help but soar.

The second title is a premiere release from the late 80s from a composer who was carving himself out as an action composer at that same time with a couple of hit franchises. Interestingly the score may appear brief (25 minutes or so) and disjointed in the film, but that's because they chopped it up, moved it around and dropped a lot of music. Now restored to its full glory and including four pivotal songs (including one that is critical to the narrative), at long last this tale of a seemingly simple errand gone seriously wrong now comes to CD at long long last.

Post subject: Re: 6/23 Releases
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 am 

O....M....G..... The second one.... could it finally be... Highlander???? I bloomin hope so!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:10 am 

Ha, didnt read the end of the clue.. got so excited. Sorry. I withdraw my guess, blushing at my hasty ignorance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am 

Right composer on 2 though batty....
We all think it's Adventures in Babysitting by Kamen now, which would be terrific.

-Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:19 am 

The first release could be Transylvania 6-5000 by Lee Holdridge from 1985. Released on LP by Varese, then paired with Korgoth Of Barbaria by BSX in 2009.

OK, must confess I cheated by looking at Roger's FSM article 1985: The Last Great Year for Film Music. It seemed the only candidate!

Grails: ONE OF OUR DINOSAURS IS MISSING (Ron Goodwin) WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS (Mike Vickers) THUNDERCATS (Bernard Hoffer) THE MYSTERIOUS CITIES OF GOLD (Haim Saban & Shuki Levy) SHORT CIRCUIT 2 (Charles Fox)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:49 am 

My first thought for the second tight was After Hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am 

I really thought the second title was Licence To Kill until the statement regarding the pivotal song and 'errand' :(
No idea on the first - I presume 'soar' is a clue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 am 

Adventures in Babysitting, with the four Robert Kraft-produced songs, sounds right for the second title. It's easy to tell that Kamen's score was chopped-up in the film, which was not uncommon for the man. I've been looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:08 am 

litefoot wrote:
The first release could be Transylvania 6-5000 by Lee Holdridge from 1985. Released on LP by Varese, then paired with Korgoth Of Barbaria by BSX in 2009.

OK, must confess I cheated by looking at Roger's FSM article 1985: The Last Great Year for Film Music. It seemed the only candidate!

The Aviator seems more likely. Remember that Intrada has been releasing numerous scores from newly-discovered MGM multi-tracks as of late.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
litefoot wrote:

The Aviator seems more likely. Remember that Intrada has been releasing numerous scores from newly-discovered MGM multi-tracks as of late.

Could be. Just a guess on my part :) Roger did say above that the title was one of his favourite scores that year, and it's in his article whereas The Aviator isn't. But I take your point!

Grails: ONE OF OUR DINOSAURS IS MISSING (Ron Goodwin) WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS (Mike Vickers) THUNDERCATS (Bernard Hoffer) THE MYSTERIOUS CITIES OF GOLD (Haim Saban & Shuki Levy) SHORT CIRCUIT 2 (Charles Fox)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 pm 

Kamen! Wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:23 am 

JGOnline wrote:
Kamen! Wonderful.

I was actually thinking the other day we need more Kamen, it's been a while since Road House & Renegades.
The 23rd will be exciting for sure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 am 

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING - Michael Kamen
it's about time for this one!
I can finally get the babysittin' blues!

THE AVIATOR - Dominic Frontiere
Cool, a Varèse LP expansion nicely timed with their upcoming club releases and that LP to CD subscription set launch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:43 am 

DeviantMan wrote:
ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING - Michael Kamen
it's about time for this one!
I can finally get the babysittin' blues!

THE AVIATOR - Dominic Frontiere
Cool, a Varèse LP expansion nicely timed with their upcoming club releases and that LP to CD subscription set launch.

La-La Land slightly expanded the The Aviator and paired it off with Frontiere's other score, Hang Em High years ago.
http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/HangEmHigh.html

Finally, more Kamen!!!